General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OCC & PJD are not real bikers!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

What the hell even defines what a biker is? I bet most of us here never even pieced together a motorcycle. Must mean we're not real bikers. I for one know I'm not a "biker" I like motorcycles and I like riding them. I wouldn't be the same without my bike, but does that make me a biker? According to you guys nope.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baggs
Has anyone noticed that there seems to be a large number of shows that have the same ultimate thread running through them? They have a time limit of some sort that just "has to be met?" Doesn't seem to matter if it's Chip Foose's boys or OCC or whatever, there is always some phoney sounding crisis that just must be met. Most of them make me feel like I need to go and get me a life?

Baggs
If you look at how things flow on this series... and then watch some re-runs of American Hot Rod you'll see that they both follow a similar dynamic.

On AC, Senior acts like an azzhat. In the early years Senior hired Keith to help with the azzhat duties. On AHR, Boyd Coddington hired Dwayne Mayer to function as the day-to-day azzhat. Both series had builds in limited time periods... and both showed good and not so good interactions between employers and employees.

And interestingly enough... both series were created by Craig Piligian of Pilgram Films.

And more recently look at West Coast Customs. They follow a similar dynamic there too... Ryan was always saddling his crew with huge projects and unreasonable timelines.

Last edited by Martimus; 10-13-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I disagree. Who sets the rule? Who monitors 24/7 on if, when and where anyone rides.

Only a certified POSER will call anyone else a poser.

Even on their cable shows there were episodes where they rode around the area. One was at Daytona Bike Week and one was at Sturgis.

Sr. has a couple dozen bikes in his garage. Everything from classics to baggers. How does the OP even have a clue when Sr takes them out for a ride?

Jr has publicly admitted that he is not into riding in his off time. However, on the shows he may possibly ride more in a year than some weekend go to the bar riders.

Everyone quit this juvenile concern over who rides what, when and how much in what kind of apparel, and other absolutely meaningless crap.

Unless of course it makes you feel so superior and big that without it you would commit suicide because of your own short comings.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
What the hell even defines what a biker is? I bet most of us here never even pieced together a motorcycle. Must mean we're not real bikers. I for one know I'm not a "biker" I like motorcycles and I like riding them. I wouldn't be the same without my bike, but does that make me a biker? According to you guys nope.
Actually, I have built a few choppers in my day. Does that make me a biker? No. The definition changes so much, I can't keep up with it. I consider myself a biker because I ride a bike. Plain and simple. Do I ride 24/7? No. Do I ride in the snow? That is what I have a truck for (and I LOVE my 350!) Do I ride a classic Panhead? Not any more. Do I even ride a big dresser? Nope, Sportster sitting in the garage for now. I ride because I enjoy the ride. So far here are the definitions that I recall a biker being, doubt any one of us completely fits in there... especially since some of them contradict themselves.
Wears old leathers.
Only wears the Harley colors.
Doesn't wear new leathers.
Doesn't wear chaps.
Doesn't wear fingerless gloves.
Wears only a half lid, no full faced helmets permitted.
Does not wear a helmet.
Only rides a classic Harley.
No fuel injection.
No Sportster.
Never garages the bike.
Never wears SOA, OCC, or similar gear.
Has facial hair.
Never rides a chopper.
Never rides in work boots.
Only builds their own bikes.
Only wrenches on their bikes, never uses a mechanic.
Never uses heated riding gear.
Does not hold a desk job.
You guys are completely missing the point of riding. Sure, one could make a point that a "real biker" does not sit behind a keyboard all day, instead rides? I am not going to go there, as I spend some time on the keyboard myself. But the point of it all is, why care about image? Isn't riding about freedom? Then why be a prisoner of fashion or trend? So many people work so hard to "fit in" with a certain scene, that they forget what it is all about. That is fine for High School teenagers, but this is the real world. Image doesn't matter. Who cares about what other people think, and enjoy the ride!
Originally Posted by Jeff W
Is Jr or Sr bikers or posers? I Dont care.
Is the guys that act with them bikers or posers? I Dont care.
My thoughts on this subject? You should not care.
Wise words. It is cheap entertainment. Why concern yourself with what others do, or what they are?
Originally Posted by Mutant Soldier
I for one am very pleased with this thread! I started to wonder if there were any bikers at all on this forum when you guys were discussing episodes of Jersey Shore.

True. I have a friend who watches that garbage like clockwork. I don't get it. Then again, I have never seen it. I also don't get the obsession with that Snoopy girl, or whatever her name is. Trainwreck.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Kraker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

i watch pretty much anything with motorcycles in it. that said, i think i've seen all the American chopper episodes and can not remember anyone on the show saying that they are or were bikers. as was said early in this thread define a biker for that matter define a chopper. if a chopper is a motorcycle with stuff taken off that means most of the motorcycles that come from a builder that are not on factory frames can not be called a chopper due to the fact nothing has been chopped off. for instance if you buy a frame that is made raked and stretched what has been chopped? and if thats the case what makes a biker? these are the questions that try mens souls.peace ****** gotta go, i recorded s o a gonna watch it NOW. one more thing before i go. yo tittwitzit snap out of it you got a late model troublehead with fake apes and invaders and too much chrome. get a fukin grip! now it's off to watch s o a.

Last edited by Kraker; 10-14-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Actually, I have built a few choppers in my day. Does that make me a biker? No. The definition changes so much, I can't keep up with it. I consider myself a biker because I ride a bike. Plain and simple. Do I ride 24/7? No. Do I ride in the snow? That is what I have a truck for (and I LOVE my 350!) Do I ride a classic Panhead? Not any more. Do I even ride a big dresser? Nope, Sportster sitting in the garage for now. I ride because I enjoy the ride. So far here are the definitions that I recall a biker being, doubt any one of us completely fits in there... especially since some of them contradict themselves.
Wears old leathers.
Only wears the Harley colors.
Doesn't wear new leathers.
Doesn't wear chaps.
Doesn't wear fingerless gloves.
Wears only a half lid, no full faced helmets permitted.
Does not wear a helmet.
Only rides a classic Harley.
No fuel injection.
No Sportster.
Never garages the bike.
Never wears SOA, OCC, or similar gear.
Has facial hair.
Never rides a chopper.
Never rides in work boots.
Only builds their own bikes.
Only wrenches on their bikes, never uses a mechanic.
Never uses heated riding gear.
Does not hold a desk job.
You guys are completely missing the point of riding. Sure, one could make a point that a "real biker" does not sit behind a keyboard all day, instead rides? I am not going to go there, as I spend some time on the keyboard myself. But the point of it all is, why care about image? Isn't riding about freedom? Then why be a prisoner of fashion or trend? So many people work so hard to "fit in" with a certain scene, that they forget what it is all about. That is fine for High School teenagers, but this is the real world. Image doesn't matter. Who cares about what other people think, and enjoy the ride!

Yeah my whole point is there's a whole lot of "bikers" who've never built a bike before. I'm one of them. But I also know I ride far more often then most people. When it's raining I'm out on my bike, when its cold I'm out there. When it's 100 degrees I'm out riding. I can't say the same for most people who own bikes.

All I'm really getting at is this forum has been far too concerned with image. Personally I don't really care. I've ridden in shorts, and I've ridden in overpants. I've ridden in sneakers and boots. I've ridden with a full face in the dead of summer and I've ridden without a helmet. So on and so forth. Why are we concerned about image?

Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
Yeah my whole point is there's a whole lot of "bikers" who've never built a bike before. I'm one of them. But I also know I ride far more often then most people. When it's raining I'm out on my bike, when its cold I'm out there. When it's 100 degrees I'm out riding. I can't say the same for most people who own bikes.

All I'm really getting at is this forum has been far too concerned with image. Personally I don't really care. I've ridden in shorts, and I've ridden in overpants. I've ridden in sneakers and boots. I've ridden with a full face in the dead of summer and I've ridden without a helmet. So on and so forth. Why are we concerned about image?
Exactly.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:11 AM
eddie eggs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, the endless debate about what a "real Biker" is or isn't. Get a grip, stop trying to put a label on everything and everyone. I like to ride but don't look like Hollywoods version of a biker. Don't really care either. I generally don't respect the opinions of those who still act like they're in high school and try to create cliques, labels, us vs. them situations. Go ride and be happy!

Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Kraker
...you got a late model troublehead with fake apes and invaders and too much chrome.
........ what are fake apes ?
.... does not knowing what fake apes are make me a poser ?
......... do fake apes cost less than real apes ?
... are fake apes chrome ?
........... can you call fake apes monkey bars or do you have to say chimp bars ?
.... would a real biker know know these answers ? if asked, would he give a poser the correct answers ?
... wtf, i think i'll stick w/the stock ones.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Kraker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=groupw;8932001]........ what are fake apes ?

to a real old school, hardcore, hardass, earned in blood biker i would think that the chubby bars aka; fake apes, on the shovel are not period correct and like not having a kickstart negate the motorcycles validity. the term fake apes is one that i just made. i for one am not a biker. fact is i really dont give a rats *** what you ride just dont be a ****. peace ******. and im atta here.

Quick Reply: OCC & PJD are not real bikers!