General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail to Road King?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Softail to Road King?

I've been casually looking at a Road King to replace the Standard. I like the idea of a ride that my wife and I can fit more comfortably on (I'm 6'2", she's 5'10"), the options the road king gives for both around town and long hauls, classic looks, options for storage, etc. However, I like the Standard's looks as well, the ease of getting around town/work (which is most of my riding right now), and that it's paid for.

If I were to get a King, the preference would be towards a 2009+ year with 10k miles or less. I would sell the Standard or trade it in if I found a King meeting my criteria. The goal would be to get the King for $5k or less out the door after sale/trade of the Standard.

Thoughts?

Old 10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Test ride one, completely different beast. Wanted one bad, rode one, kept the softy.
P.S. Wife hated it.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Softail Custom and a Road King both and I have completely lost interest in the Softail. I have been trying to sell it but I am not having much luck competing with all the garage queens out there. Mine is an 07 with 32 k on it. If you cant pre sale it I would trade it in. Its a hard market out there right now with so many folks out of work.

As far as the town / Highway riding, I believe that the Road King is more nimble and it is not any problem in town but it is soooooooo much nicer out on the open road. I doubt you will ever look back except to wonder why you waited so long.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Went from a Fatboy to Nighttrain to Road King Classic. The RKC is more comfortable, especially on longer rides and LOVE having the extra storage. Although I miss my previous bikes at times, I enjoy the Road King much more.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Test ride one, completely different beast. Wanted one bad, rode one, kept the softy.
P.S. Wife hated it.
The only touring bike I've ridden is a stock 2009 Limited and am somewhat familiar of the difference as far as ride. I have sat on a few Kings and can already tell the difference in comfort.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I hadn't ridden a bike in many years before getting my King. I ride it around town, out on the highway, everywhere. Guess I don't know any better. And it doesn't either. It's just as happy taking me to the grocery store as it is taking me to another state.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

I have both, & couldn't do without either. So, here's what I would do:

Your Softy's paid for. That's a real big thing, in my book (both my bikes are paid for). If you can afford to pay the 5G's in cash, then I would make the trade IF you really like the King. But think of how nice it is to know that YOU own the title to your bike, not the bank. And consider this--for alot less than 5 G's, you can make the Softy as comfortable as the King by adding bags & windsheild,maybe a new seat and bolt-on floorboards. Prolly get 'em cheap on Ebay. And you still own the title!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I hadn't ridden a bike in many years before getting my King. I ride it around town, out on the highway, everywhere. Guess I don't know any better. And it doesn't either. It's just as happy taking me to the grocery store as it is taking me to another state.
Same here, I love my King!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:45 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will never make a Softail a road king.....I've had both. Frame won't allow it...

No comparison.....and yes, their is a reason they call it King. No comparison. The Road King will also handle better....all day long. Especially compared to an FXST...If you can swing a 2010...get it.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:47 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't go wrong with the Road King!!!!

Quick Reply: Softail to Road King?