General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest, "Loud Pipes Risk Rights"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Biketoberfest, "Loud Pipes Risk Rights"

Just sayin we all need to think about this. Not trying to start a war, but there is a nice deep rumble, and then there is obnoxious.

If we don't police ourselves, eventually "Big Brother" will do it for us.

http://www.biketoberfest.org/loud.cfm

Old 10-05-2011, 05:25 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Tis true.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I started a thread called "Banning Loud Pipes" back in August. It is still going with some very interesting and very off topic posts.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

& if I continue to give someone else a reason without themselves a reason they will soon enjoy my reason & take it as their own--which, I have gladly provided them--What am I, but my own enemy?

When my own decisions look me in the face what will I say to them before I suffer my own consequences?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am heading for my 5th Biktoberfest and I ride.
My 05 had Rienharts on it, loud enough for me, my 09 has Screaming Eagles on it, I like them a lot.
What I am going to say will upset some people, some of you folks out there just plain make way to much noise, straight pipes and reamed out mufflers just don't cut it any more in the eyes of the locals.
The local people appreciate your business, but the local residents and I know a lot, do not appreciate we bikers standing on the pipes at all hours of the day and night, lots of complaints as you might imagine, thus the posted site information in the original post.
Want to make noise head out to the burnout pit at the Iron Horse and bust your chops.
The police in the Daytona area are fair for the most part but they do set up check points and hand out tickets from time to time, lots during Biketoberfest and Bikeweek, I have seen this lots of times.
Oh yes being stopped on Main Street and running up your pipes is not a real good idea, lots of Cops there, easy picking for them.
Have fun Ride safe, may see you in a few days for a beer, I like Forggy's and Dirty Harry's in the back.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Please explain "Police ourselves".

Do you intend to stop people and point out the decibel level that you personally find offensive? What do you say when somebody finds your Power Duals and 4" Rinehart's to be too loud for their preference?

Or are you going to carry a meter and turn in the offending party to the nearest LEO?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just a question of common courtesy.

I don't like a-holes who have speakers in their cars that cost more than the cars themselves who crank the music up so high that the car next to them vibrates, too.

There are bikers who are just as inconsiderate.

Having said that, I think karma should get you, not the law.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

One thing for sure, the guys that have to blast there pipes at every stop sign are not going to change. Some people are just made that way. I do dissagree with the notion that all of the pipe blasters do it to say look at me. I think a lot of them just like to listen to there pipes.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

This has been coming to a head for a long time. Even Harley has tried to make us aware of the noise issue. In my state it is just a matter of time, the new law is already to be signed. Sad, a few "I dont give a sh--" individuals ruined for all of us.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:24 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Please explain "Police ourselves".

Do you intend to stop people and point out the decibel level that you personally find offensive? What do you say when somebody finds your Power Duals and 4" Rinehart's to be too loud for their preference?

Or are you going to carry a meter and turn in the offending party to the nearest LEO?
I'm guessing that he means just what he said. 'We' need to police 'our' selves.
I.E., We know when we are making too much noise. Each of us individually knows it. He's not advocating being the 'noise police' and making a citizens arrest.

I like loud, nice sounding, exhaust systems. But, I don't WOT it down my quiet residential street every time I leave the driveway. I've asked my neighbors if my pipes are too loud for them. Not one of them said yes. But, almost everyone of them complained about the guy the next street over that can't seem get it through his head that our neighborhood is the kind that has lots of kids, no sidewalks, and is only 3 blocks from the main road through town. For gripes sake, the parkway is only 1/4 mile away. But he just can't wait an extra minute to make all that noise.

I have no problem whacking the throttle if I'm in an area that supports that type of riding, but I sure don't do it in ANY neighborhood or shopping area. Aside from being inconsiderate, it's foolish. Why bring attention to yourself in an area where there's a higher chance of a cop being around?

The neighbor across the street rides an EGC. He's a considerate rider, but he also will start his bike in the driveway and let it idle for 10 minutes (early morning). That's about 15 feet from his neighbors bedroom window. His neighbor saw me pushing my bike down the driveway to the street one morning and said "I wish --- would do that."

Consideration, respect go a long way.

Last edited by Deucedog; 10-05-2011 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest, "Loud Pipes Risk Rights"