General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest, "Loud Pipes Risk Rights"

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stalk? Don't flatter ourself. It is a forum and I remember what I read. If I thought you were more intelligent I would consider your opinion instead of mostly dismissing it outright. Your crusade have fun. Did you get a vote on that majority or just an opinion? Jackwad.
Originally Posted by Talldog
What, ya got nothing better to do than Stalk my threads? Kinda sad.

You might want to rethink that, there have been a lot of "Loud Pipes" threads lately, and the majority feel as I do.

Loud just for the sake of loud is just stupid. The thing that pisses me off, is that all us guys that like the nice deep rumble of some good aftermarket pipes, will end up paying the price for all you inconsiderate jackwads.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

OP: I can tell this issue is important to you, I'd like to get an understanding for where you are coming from.

Your bike has an aftermarket exhaust that I'm sure is louder than stock (all aftermarket systems are louder than stock, its just a matter of how much).

Can you comment on the loudness if the system you run, and where you feel that falls into the grand scheme of things for this issue?

I have had very loud bikes before, and even though I was very careful with them (for example I never rode my straight piped Warrior after 9pm or before 9am, and I frequently checked with my neighbors to ensure they were not being bothered), I am done with pipes that loud.

I'm now running a set of Cycle Shack slip ons and I think they are perfect. They sound incredible, but when I am stopped at a light next to a car, the driver does not roll his or her window up (at least it hasn't happened yet, probably 30 chances to see this happen so far).

But I wouldn't go any louder than these slip ons, they are just under what I consider "too much".

Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
harley davidson-the most efficient means of converting liquid fuel to noise without the added byproduct of horsepower......
I don't care who you are, that there's funny....and true! A buddy of mine always says, "All that noise and going nowhere fast!"

Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
OP: I can tell this issue is important to you, I'd like to get an understanding for where you are coming from.

Your bike has an aftermarket exhaust that I'm sure is louder than stock (all aftermarket systems are louder than stock, its just a matter of how much).

Can you comment on the loudness if the system you run, and where you feel that falls into the grand scheme of things for this issue?

I have had very loud bikes before, and even though I was very careful with them (for example I never rode my straight piped Warrior after 9pm or before 9am, and I frequently checked with my neighbors to ensure they were not being bothered), I am done with pipes that loud.

I'm now running a set of Cycle Shack slip ons and I think they are perfect. They sound incredible, but when I am stopped at a light next to a car, the driver does not roll his or her window up (at least it hasn't happened yet, probably 30 chances to see this happen so far).

But I wouldn't go any louder than these slip ons, they are just under what I consider "too much".
I have a FM stage 1 on my 07 UC, with Carbon Fiber Jackpot mufflers. At cruise and idle I don't think they're much louder than stock. Jamie posted a while back with the different levels and IIRC they were a few dbs different. However, if I really twist the throttle they are significantly louder then stock, to the point I can no longer hear the radio. I think the intent of the OP was just to remind everyone that we should use our heads and be considerate visitors around places where JQPublic are. There's lots of ample open area around I4, the speedway, and west of town where it's not a big deal. However, around Beach, main, and A1A, a significant amount of residential and non-biking retail exists. Daytona Beach does have noise regs on the books. If you insist on making excessive noise just for the sake of noise the LEOs can and will write you a ticket and relieve you of a lot of your vacation funds. It's just common sense and the riders that insist it's their right to do what they want remember, majority rules, and there are a lot more of them than us.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19

Hi,

Yes, my system is louder than stock, I don't know how to quantify it for you though. I realize that sound is subjective and what one person finds annoying, is music to the next guys ears.

I do a lot of group rides, Patriot Guard, Charity Rides, Poker Runs, etc. and I've been riding a lot of years so I feel I've got a pretty good handle on what the majority of bikes sound like.

Yea, some bikes are louder than others, and for the most part, that's cool.

What I have a problem with, is guys that run straight pipes (no baffles whatsoever). It's just loud noise for the sake of noise and it sounds like shyt.

It's usually younger riders without a lot of experience, and to be honest, not much going on "upstairs" if ya know what I mean.

Even with my "louder than stock" pipes, I always try to be considerate with my neighbors, or if I'm riding through a park, or wherever I see people gathered for whatever reason.

Like a lot of others have said, it's just common sense as to when to "get on it", and when to go easy with the throttle.

I would bet that 99% of Harley owners do as we do, but it's the 1% that are gonna screw it up for the rest of us.

Will posting in a forum change minds? Probably not, but it might get a few people thinking, who knows.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skratch
he means don't be a douche and use some common sense.
What he said......too loud is too loud. I like a nice rumble....but some are so loud it is embarrassing.....then everyone hates to even see a HOG.

...and when we continue to be absurd about the noise level, we will all find ourselves with stock pipes!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:50 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was gassing up the bike when I was going out to lunch yesterday. I was listening to the traffic go by at the same time. There were several pickup trucks that went by with louder exhaust than either of my two HD's. Both of my HD's have baffles. Had one car go by that was definitely louder than anything else I had heard. I don't believe that most motorcycle exhaust are louder than other vehicles on the road. I think we are singled out for the same reason they target kids with noisy music and exhaust. Not the decibel levels but the fact that we are different. They envy us and hate us for being envied and being different. We are a easy target.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain

ANOTHER SPIN ON THE SUBJECT----I think if everybody makes as much noise as they possible can, the locals wont be able to call the cops because of the background noise

Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunk
When my own decisions look me in the face what will I say to them ....?
....... hey hey, .... what's happenin' ?

Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts