General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest, "Loud Pipes Risk Rights"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Please explain "Police ourselves".
he means don't be a douche and use some common sense.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
he means don't be a douche and use some common sense.
Exactly!!

Every bike week there are always a bunch of douche bags that sit there and twist on the throttle to make as much noise as they can for no reason other than their need to draw attention to themselves.

If you are coming to Daytona or any other bike week remember one thing. Your bike is no louder than 10,000 other bikes there. It makes no sense to sit there be a throttle jockey. No one thinks any more of you because of it. Most likely they are just thinking you are another childish d1ck.

Every year Daytona has citizens that want to close the bike weeks down. Look at all the other cities that have already done it. Loud pipes and obnoxious guests are the reason.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-05-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have loud pipes and everyone loves them, (i think) but i am respectful to others even at a red light i will shut motor off if someone is next to me and they usually say its ok, i love the sound and will never go back to stock even if i get a ticket, but like stated above you have to know when to hold them and when to fold them

Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
maldito33
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Damm people

Originally Posted by chamokie
This has been coming to a head for a long time. Even Harley has tried to make us aware of the noise issue. In my state it is just a matter of time, the new law is already to be signed. Sad, a few "I dont give a sh--" individuals ruined for all of us.
Yeah when those bikers
crashed and burned years ago they made helmet laws. Yeah they ruined for us.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Please explain "Police ourselves".

Do you intend to stop people and point out the decibel level that you personally find offensive? What do you say when somebody finds your Power Duals and 4" Rinehart's to be too loud for their preference?

Or are you going to carry a meter and turn in the offending party to the nearest LEO?
You must be young and aren't familiar with the saying "Police Ourselves".

All I'm saying is that "we" as a group of Motorcycle Riders, need to use common sense when it comes to the loudness of our pipes.

Yea, I'm aware that a few people want all bikes to sound like a Honda and would probably find my Rineharts offensive, but I think that as long as I use common sense about when I "get on the throttle", the vast majority of people wouldn't find the sound offensive.

I am trying to avoid a situation where laws are passed and we end up with cops sitting at intersections with sound meters checking bikes and issuing tickets.

Like others have said, it's just common sense and being courteous to our neighbors while enjoying our bikes.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by duecedog
I'm guessing that he means just what he said. 'We' need to police 'our' selves.
I.E., We know when we are making too much noise. Each of us individually knows it. He's not advocating being the 'noise police' and making a citizens arrest.

I like loud, nice sounding, exhaust systems. But, I don't WOT it down my quiet residential street every time I leave the driveway. I've asked my neighbors if my pipes are too loud for them. Not one of them said yes. But, almost everyone of them complained about the guy the next street over that can't seem get it through his head that our neighborhood is the kind that has lots of kids, no sidewalks, and is only 3 blocks from the main road through town. For gripes sake, the parkway is only 1/4 mile away. But he just can't wait an extra minute to make all that noise.

I have no problem whacking the throttle if I'm in an area that supports that type of riding, but I sure don't do it in ANY neighborhood or shopping area. Aside from being inconsiderate, it's foolish. Why bring attention to yourself in an area where there's a higher chance of a cop being around?

The neighbor across the street rides an EGC. He's a considerate rider, but he also will start his bike in the driveway and let it idle for 10 minutes (early morning). That's about 15 feet from his neighbors bedroom window. His neighbor saw me pushing my bike down the driveway to the street one morning and said "I wish --- would do that."

Consideration, respect go a long way.
Thanks, could not have said it any better.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
ChileMike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do the same as DueceDog, we have an apartment in Rancagua, Chile. I know my bike is fu%$·" loud. V&H Big Radius w/ Thunder Monster baffles. The parking lot is enclosed with a concrete wall. If my wife and I go riding before 11 am I`ll push out the gate and across the street, people look at the loco gringo pushing his bike 50 yards to clear the parking lot, but one woman holding a small baby came out on her balcony and said muchas gracias. It is just being considerate.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Thunderheaders. Loud but not as loud as those straight drag pipes which do nothing but make noise and reduce low end power.
I take it easy on the throttle around the neighborhood and never blip the throttle at lights. Don't know why I would want to sit there and keep blipping the throttle, but some do. Just silly and stupid in my opinion.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

If your bike is loud then you ride to the right of me so I can still hear my radio, other than that "F" em thats my opinion. There is no way I would push my bike from where I live to start it, if it is that load with echo then start it and just cruise away. then get on it.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
You must be young and aren't familiar with the saying "Police Ourselves".

All I'm saying is that "we" as a group of Motorcycle Riders, need to use common sense when it comes to the loudness of our pipes.

Yea, I'm aware that a few people want all bikes to sound like a Honda and would probably find my Rineharts offensive, but I think that as long as I use common sense about when I "get on the throttle", the vast majority of people wouldn't find the sound offensive.

I am trying to avoid a situation where laws are passed and we end up with cops sitting at intersections with sound meters checking bikes and issuing tickets.

Like others have said, it's just common sense and being courteous to our neighbors while enjoying our bikes.
I'm far from young and understand what the expression means. What I still want to know is this, How do you intend to "police" the people that are going to ride with straight pipes anyways. Sure you can say that everybody should use "common sense", but there will always be people that don't.

Super loud pipes are really not that common, but they do draw the most attention. I don't run them, but I'm not going to tell others what they should run either.

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest, "Loud Pipes Risk Rights"