General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gerbing Hybrid Heated Gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:08 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Curiously, for me anyway, my Heated Grips are nice down to about 40 degrees. Below that my palms are warm but the back of my hand and the outsides of my fingers are freezing. You'd think that if one side of your hand is warm enough that it would transfer . . . but it doesn't do it enough when it gets cold enough.
A possible answer to that is Lee Parks PCI gloves. They are only insulated on the back side. The underside is just leather (or very thin insulation anyway) so that your hands get the heat and you don't lose feel of the controls. And they aren't cheap. I'm not familiar with another gloves like these.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopp..._PCi_Black.htm

Non-gaunlet model here, and cheaper.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/eshopp..._PCi_Black.htm

I'm not saying this is the only solution, but one for the OP to consider since he doesn't want to be "plugged in" to the bike. Personally, I don't mind it so much and generally use the Gerbing G3 gloves when it gets really cold. One negative though, I just don't like how much feel I lose with them, but I guess that's the payoff for riding in the cold.

Last edited by JD HD; 10-07-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:14 PM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why does the website state they are not designed for use with motorcycles? Is it because they are not leather?

Old 10-08-2011, 03:48 AM
KBour
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb How about mittens?

Where cold-weather riding is concerned, I have had good luck with Thinsulate-lined motorcycle mittens called Lectra-Mitts http://www.constructiongear.com/batt...mitt-lm20.html. I have never tried the "wired" kind - these take batteries; but, because the fingers keep each other warm, I usually just wear a pair of polypropylene liners inside the mittens and my binties stay toasty warm to about 45 degrees. Some riders say that it is difficult to operate the controls, but I have not found that to be the case.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Hey Mike,

My experience (with the gloves) couldn't be more different. I'm using the Hybrids now, but when I would use my wired in gloves, without the thermostat, it would get so hot it would be uncomfortable, like it would burn you.
Don't know what to say about that. My fingers are very heat sensitive; my wife can pick up
coffee cups that I can't, but my set of gloves has never really gotten that hot. They do help, but
I've never worried about them getting so hot as to be painful..

Maybe I've got a bad pair.. I dunno..

Old 10-09-2011, 12:44 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I run the Harley/Gerbings without the thermostat. There is a kill switch that comes with the kit, just turn it off when it gets hot
I'm glad I'm not the only one....

Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Extorris
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obonaven
Run them without a t-stat at first and make the decision for yourself. I've been running a pair of Gerbing T5 glove for 2 years now and only use an on/off switch.
Agreed. I run my Gerbings with just an on/off switch and they don't even come close to being too hot. Perfect temp.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 AM
capttxrngr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Tourmaster jacket liner and gloves. Went with them because the controller was included, it has 3 settings. The gloves plug into the jacket. Was out in 22 degree weather earlier this week and only put it on medium and actually had to turn it to low. My ride to work is about 25 min and I do not get above 50mph. This morning was in the mid to upper 30s so did without the electric gear. Have a pair of Columbia ski gloves/gaunlets with a silver lining that I wear and they are go to about 35degrees. I am checking gebring because I heard they can plug into Tourmasters. So if I need pants or insoles I have another option.