General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If i put a fake plate on my bike ..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If i put a fake plate on my bike ..

What would the odds be of anyone (LEO's) knowing, and i wonder what would be the penalty if caught?

Some back story .. using the website i confirmed a GREAT plate was available, and ordered it immediately. The site says to expect 6-8 weeks for delivery. I use the online "mailing status" page, and it says "your plate was created on 7/07/11 and is ready for mailing" (about 12 weeks?). I called DMV and they said it must have been lost in transit from the manufacturer to the DMV, and there is nothing at all they can do. They cannot order me a replacement under any circumstances! She said my only 2 options are to either keep waiting and hoping, or cancel it and order a different plate (wait 1yr to order same plate)

I already have the registration and sticker for my plate, they mailed that separately and i have it waiting.

So i was considering my options. Id really hate to give this plate up! I can go to a site like www.cr8apl8.com and have an exact replica made, and id just put my sticker on it.

The only difference is that the letters are not raised, but they are done in 3D to make it appear raised, apparently lol.

Im just desperate to keep my plate. Any other options or suggestions?

DMV is 100% unwilling to do anything further.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Putting a plate on any vehicle that doesn't belong on it is a felony. Chances are prolly slim to none that you would get caught...if you get stopped with the other tag on there, your busted cause they WILL check it

Old 10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Fictitious Plates will get your ride towed and impounded in NJ...not to mention the fines. Not worth it

Old 10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
Putting a plate on any vehicle that doesn't belong on it is a felony. Chances are prolly slim to none that you would get caught...if you get stopped with the other tag on there, your busted cause they WILL check it
The plate does belong on there .. i just dont have the plate. So the letters would be correct for that vehicle, the reg sticker would be legit, and id have paperwork showing the plate belongs on that vehicle.

Just wondering what the fine would be if caught

Old 10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, technically it IS his plate. He has the legal tag and reg for that specific plate...just doesn't have the plate. So if they run it, the tag will come back to the O.P.'s bike and the tag will match too...

...that said, good luck trying to explain to the officer why you have a plate that is obviously NOT a real plate on your bike. Look at it from their standpoint...why would a person do this? Sure you're going to tell them the truth but they get lied to daily and your story...well...it would come off sounding a little unbelievable.

Hocus is right on that standpoint, they are going to inspect the plate at some point because it's not going to look "quite right" and when they do you're going to have a lot of explaining to do. So ask yourself, is it worth it to YOU if worst case scenario occures which, I'm assuming, may include the impounding of your bike.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
dynodon89
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call area state police and ask, but I can guess that they will say if you don't have the state issued real plate on, doesn't matter if you have the sticker/reg. I wouldn't risk it. Even if one cop says yes, another may haul you off to court!

Check with a business that does nothing but plates and registrations, and see what they say about finding the original plates or getting replacements. We have one of those locally in IL, and when I have a question/problem with plates/stickers, they can answer the question and usually solve the problem much quicker than even the DMV. They know how things work. and usually have pull with the DMV.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suck it up and wait a year to avoid any issues would be my advice to ya.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,670 Likes on 2,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
I don't know if it's actually a felony--I have heard of people getting ticket for "improper plates", but that was it. What about all the people that lose plates & put a cardboard one on that says "lost plate"? How about all the people who buy vehicles & stick a plate on it to get it home? Been there;done that.

Could you imagine being in the prison yard talking with some fellow cons: "What're you in for"? "Murder" "Armed Robbery" "Improper plate" Can you see the look on their faces?

Here's a true story--Last year I sold my RoadKing to a guy from up north. He flew down to Florida with the $$,but forgot to bring his plate. I could not chance lending him my plate when he asked, so he took a piece of cardboard,made up a number at random, & stuck it on the bike. He made it all the way to Daytona for bike week & back to Illinois no problem.

I don't think it would seem suspicious of the OP to the cop,considering he had ordered a vanity plate that got lost & a replacement wasn't readily available.. If it was just a standard plate, for which a replacement is readily available, then yea,why would he make up a replica of THAT? But I think the cop would believe someone who ordered a special plate.

Last edited by dickey; 10-03-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
The plate does belong on there .. i just dont have the plate. So the letters would be correct for that vehicle, the reg sticker would be legit, and id have paperwork showing the plate belongs on that vehicle.

Just wondering what the fine would be if caught

I thought you said it was a fake plate?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 349 Likes on 158 Posts

In MO you can apply for a replacement plate. It has an "R" on it. You can't do that in your state? I agree with the others... running the fake plate would sure be tempting, and you may never get caught, but if you do, it could be very inconvenient at best.

Quick Reply: If i put a fake plate on my bike ..