General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why don't HD Dealers compete on price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts
Default Why don't HD Dealers compete on price?

Stopped at a Harley Dealer today. They said they only sell tires at full MSRP. $225 for a rear Dunlop 402 WW, that I could get for $165 online. Then my wife tried on a HD Amber boot that was $140 but they didn't have her size. They asked if we would prepay and they would order it for her. But I knew from ordering my boots from Amazon, that I could get them a lot cheaper online. I ordered my Lynx boots because the only waterproof boot my dealer had was $200, and they didn't have the cheaper Lynx, which I got for $110 online. ($160 MSRP)

I prefer to buy from the dealer and support them. I am willing to pay more to cover their overhead,for a brick and mortar store, and inventory and service personnel. But if I had to order anyway, might as well order online.I went home and got the $140 boots for $90.76 with shipping from Amazon. Why wouldn't the dealer give a 10% discount and sell more items in the store, instead of insisting on full price? I know many people try shoes, helmets etc.. at the dealer and then go home and order online. I am usually against that, but I would appreciate a 10% discount while supporting the dealer.

As far as the tires go I like to use an HD dealer, but I might buy online and just have my local Indy mount them.

Last edited by Ron750; 10-02-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: update price
Old 10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,214 Likes on 2,450 Posts

We have wholesale accounts with a couple different dealers. It is amazing what a small margin they work on even at full retail on their parts.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 AM
teflon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not allowed to "deal" they will be shut down by corporate if they do, happened to a dealership here when the other dealerships around started to bitch that "he must be giving discounts"! Teflon

Old 10-03-2011, 08:33 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by teflon
They are not allowed to "deal" they will be shut down by corporate if they do, happened to a dealership here when the other dealerships around started to bitch that "he must be giving discounts"! Teflon
You are in Canada. The practice of a corporation fixing prices with franchises in the USA violates price fixing laws. The manufacturer here can only suggest an MSRP but the dealer if free to sell for whatever he wishes.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

had some of the same problem
wanted to try on a couple of FXDR (?) jackets
dealer had none in stock
I was told to take a WAG and they would order it

I asked if it didn't fit could they return it
deal said NO that it was mine because of special order
never tried one on

Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you didn't label them as stealer's. I shop for everything. On line, catalog, or just browsing through the dealership. I know what I am willing to pay and I know what prices I have to pay. Some people don't add up all the cost and compare right. I see that a lot in tires. If I need the tires now it cost me but if I do it myself I get off cheaper. Sometimes I got more money than time but other days I got the time and I am willing to save the money.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had local dealers match a price on an item from an internet sale. Sometimes you just have to ask.
I'd sell at MSRP too, if that's what my customers would pay.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:11 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The times they are a changin'

To lower the risk on a buy you have to go to the brick and mortor store where some guy gives you the info you need to make a good decision. Thing is....he hopes to be paid for that knowledge he gave you which is figured into the price.

So out the store you go sayin' "I gotta think about it" and order the thing off amazon or some other similar internet place for a much lower price.

This is how we support the change.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:15 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Why should they compete and have price wars ? You guys are so fast to write up those loan papers or just drop the credit card at the drop of a hat they have no reason to be competitive with other dealers or sources , think about it .

Old 10-06-2011, 09:36 AM
IMG2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You are in Canada. The practice of a corporation fixing prices with franchises in the USA violates price fixing laws. The manufacturer here can only suggest an MSRP but the dealer if free to sell for whatever he wishes.
Having worked for a major manufacturer that had "suggested list prices" and sold to independent dealers I can tell you the manufacturer has little to no say in what price the distributor sells products for. As a manufacturer you also cannot have one price for customers who sell for what you suggest and another price for those who don't. Now that doesn't mean a manufacturer doesn't have ways to motivate the distributor to what the manufacturer wants.

Let's say I have 2 distributors, one who does things the way we like and one who doesn't. We introduce a hot new product and know we will not be able to meet demand in the short term. Which of the above distributors do you think will get the limited supply of the hot new product? This is how Harley and other manufacturers get independent retailers/distributors to do what they want.

Quick Reply: Why don't HD Dealers compete on price?