General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STAGE 1 AND CAMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Frankenstein
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STAGE 1 AND CAMS

Couldn't make up my mind today, I stoped by the local harley dealer today and bought the big boar kit for my 04 roadking classic I will have the dealer install the kit after my rineharts true dual come in. Problem is
are my stock cams going to be enough, the bike will be for long trips and lets face it not a race machine.
But just like a boat bigger every year. Im on the fense on this one, me thinks the stock cams will be enough.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks Gregg

Old 11-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain
Default RE: STAGE 1 AND CAMS

The Big Bore kit ought to include cams?

Old 11-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Frankenstein
Intermediate

My bad stage 1 purchase doesn't come with the cams stage 2 comes with the cams its still not to late to add the cams in if I change my mind, problem is I don't know if I should have the cams put in or leave the stock cams in.
Thanks Gregg

Old 11-24-2006, 10:00 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would for the performance of it, go for the cams. It's easy to say "I sure wish I would of added those last winter."

Reason I say this is because I was looking at doing the 95 w/ the cams or the 103. I decided for the cost the 95 w/ the cams was the way to go. I just think for the added $$$, you will not be dissappointed.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain

Leave the stock cams in. Best thing you can do to enhance the stage 1 is to go with a Race Tuner or Power commander. I was under the impression that you were going for the 95 upgrade. Just what are you getting with this Big Bore kit??? Pistons, cylinders, etc?

Old 11-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Fandango6
Road Warrior

I'm on the fence about any cam changes for the same reason you are up against. Touring and wanting mid and low end torque. Some of the recomended cams for more performance at higher RPM's. Your not going to race off the line on your touring bagger to get across country, well least I'm not.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:37 PM
Frankenstein
Intermediate

Stage 1 kit 95 ci deal wo cams air cleaner

Stage 2 kit 95 ci deal w cams air cleaner

Not to late to make this a Stage 2 deal while im waiting for the rineharts

Questioning the extra 500.00 for the cam extra is this money well spent for marginal torque

I plan on sert and dyno in the spring

Thanks Again Gregg

Old 11-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Reino
Ultimate HDF Member

Looking at my trusty parts book the SE203 cams that come with the stage II big bore kit have a flatter torque and HP curve than the stage I. The most gain is in the mid to bottom range but there is gain on the top rpm as well over the standard cams as the curve dosen't dive off as quickly. However there is a slight loss of HP on the mid range but you more than gain it in the lower and higher rpm's. I wish my scanner was working [:@] but ask your dealer to show this to you. I would reccommend the 203's with the 95" kit as it really opened up my bike and make sure you have it dyno tuned to to get the best (most) out of it.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:57 PM
buckanddot
Cruiser

if you can get cams for $500 I say go for it. I have the 203's with the 95" kit on my '04 FLHRCI and like the low end grunt they give. Not a high end screamer(that's what the dyna is for) but makes for a nice relieable two-up ride. You will get again as much power gain as just the big bore itself. My only regrets are that I didn't go with comparatable gear drive cams and head work while I had 'er apart.

Old 11-25-2006, 12:32 AM
softail2005
Road Captain

I agree with adding the cams. You can put in the 95" big bore kit and if you add the cams, SEAC and SERT with your pipes you are in the 100 hp range with a like amount of torque. I have a friend that did that with his Road King and It runs fantastic. He does long rides with no problem.

The 103" kit is a big deal, they have to stroke the motor and bore out the cases, its a 5K event!

Go to Latus motors website in Portland, OR and click on service, then click on ask mike. You can find all the dyno charts for all the upgrades of pipes, cams, etc with the chart showing the torque and hp figures for each upgrade.

You can place a question in the ask mike forum about any type of hop up and he will give you the info. Mike is one of the premier Harley race tuners in the NW.

Quick Reply: STAGE 1 AND CAMS