General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy or Switchback??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM
4boogie
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fatboy or Switchback??

I have a bud thats buying a bike tomorrow and was wondering what way he should go Fatboy or Switchback? Thanks for the help!!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He should probably do an extended test ride of both, and then choose.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend that's making that same decision. He's going to ride both bikes this week and then decide. The dealer he's working with has a black Switchback and a few Fatboy Lo's to choose from. The value leader is the switchback from my perspective, but I've never ridden one.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:58 PM
speednut
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I was lucky enough it would be the switchback.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM
aggiejason
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decisions decisions

I'd go with the S.B. Bags and shield easily come off to make a cruiser or leave them on and go trippin'. Guess it depends on what fits him better and what kind of riding he plans on doing.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 PM
4boogie
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is about mid 40's and getting the bike just to ride he does not do much drinking

Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

fatty

Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

I,m with Kiwiduce, the fatty's a better bike, The switch back is a Dyna with an unbalanced motor, the fatty is balanced, gives a better ride, I test rode the switch back in September, and decided to stick with my Fat Boy, Having said that I also test rode the Heritage Softail and didn't like that either. In the end its horses for courses, its his decision, do the test ride

Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there very different bikes , if he,s thinking of doing some touring its a no brainer , but I'm not that keen on the look of the Switch Back , the fatty is iconic and looks really cool in denim black , but it not as nice to ride as it should be for that money ,

i would definitely buy from the Dyna range though , they handle well and are just about powerful enough for there size ,
if it were me , id be looking at the street bob or fat bob instead of a fat boy, they look just as cool and are better value for money IMHO

hope he makes the right choice , mistakes can be expensive

Last edited by MADDOG187; 10-03-2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:13 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am gonna do a cop out here, but if there was any one bike to chose then there would not be two models available. For me, the classic lines of the Fatboy Lo is the cat's pajamas, but what works for my taste, style, and riding feel does not work for everybody. We are not one size fits all, and neither are bikes. Best, and only advice that can be given was what has already been stated. Have your friend go to the Harley dealership and sit on the bike. Get familiar with it. See how they feel. Then take each one out for a test ride. I would even go one step further and say to take one of them out for a ride, then wait a few days and take the other one out. This is so that your buddy does not ride the second one already tired from the road, and also does not judge the second bike against the first. Enjoy both bikes equally, not in the shadow of the other, and make an informed decision from there. This is a big decision and a lot of money, take your time in deciding. Good luck to him, he has already made a wise choice simply by choosing a Harley.

Quick Reply: Fatboy or Switchback??