General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iphone and gps

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks like your entire route is cached on google nav so you dont need service. But if you dont have service you cant make a new route or if you go outside of the cached route area your screwed.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 AM
MConde85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigon

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
I have an iPhone and use an app called Navigon. If you jailbreak the phone you can get it for free through Cydia. If not, it's like $60 in the app store. Download a thing called routeconverter (google it). This will allow you to use google maps to click and drag your scenic route, then convert it into a Navigon file to be emailed to your phone. I'm pretty sure it's available for alot of countries.

I have used other apps but they are slow when it comes to quick turns. Navigon tells you multiple turns if they are quick and it also tells you what lane to stay in before turning. Not sure of your setup, but I can plug my iPhone into my HK radio and my turn by turn directions run over my speakers. It will also work if you only have ear buds and throw the phone in your jacket pocket. I turn on Navigon and pandora and when the directions come on, the phone mutes the music. Much better than my earlier TomTom setup.

Hope this helps!!

Mmarine86,

Thanks, I'm going to look into Navigon which if I'm not mistaken is now owned by Garmin. But does it work in Germany, and contain loaded maps, so you don't loose GPS when you loose service?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
MConde85
Advanced
Default Nuvi..

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
I have an Iphone and IMO, it's just too small to use for GPS. Why not just buy a Garmin NUVI for less than $150.00? That's what I have on my bike (265WT) & it works great! It has traffic and lifetime map updates. I enter a destination and then set it to avoid highways & toll roads.
I have a NUVI 250 and have spend hours trying to load a custom route....it just won't let you. The only Garmin GPS units that support a lot of way points is the ZUMO ones. If I remember right the 550 can store up to 1000 way points for a custom route. The ZUMO 220 was just released and it can store up to 500 way points per route. I think...been a min since I researched it.

I've used my NUVI to avoid high ways/tolls and found some really nice roads in Germany that way, but I like finding a route on google or bestbikingroads.com and be able to load it to a GPS.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

I can't use my iphone as a GPS in the US, because I live in Canada, and whenever I go to the US, I always make sure that my Data Roaming option is turned off, because the roaming fees are huge if you roam onto another network.
I know guys that have gotten home and got a $500.00 phone bill for Data Roaming.

The phone will use data even if you don't use the GPS. Just using apps that need to know your location such as the nearest Harley Dealer app or a nearest campground locator app can cost you big $.

So I make sure my Data Roaming is always turned off, so these apps only work if I'm on my home network (Rogers)

-

Old 10-04-2011, 04:04 PM
jwlehman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One app that will meet your needs is the Iphone App from Tom-Tom. It's one of the best GPS apps I've used. Motion-X is pretty good, but you have to have access to the internet to get the maps downloaded as you ride.

I caught the Tom-Tom app on sale for $39.00. I have a dedicated Tom-Tom Rider 2 unit, but dont use it anymore...it requires bluetooth for the audio. The IPhone app is REALLY convenient.

The app does NOT need access to the internet (unless you have traffic updates).

Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM
tryteds
Novice
Default navigon and route converter

I have an iPhone and use an app called Navigon. If you jailbreak the phone you can get it for free through Cydia. If not, it's like $60 in the app store. Download a thing called routeconverter (google it). This will allow you to use google maps to click and drag your scenic route, then convert it into a Navigon file to be emailed to your phone. I'm pretty sure it's available for alot of countries.

I have used other apps but they are slow when it comes to quick turns. Navigon tells you multiple turns if they are quick and it also tells you what lane to stay in before turning. Not sure of your setup, but I can plug my iPhone into my HK radio and my turn by turn directions run over my speakers. It will also work if you only have ear buds and throw the phone in your jacket pocket. I turn on Navigon and pandora and when the directions come on, the phone mutes the music. Much better than my earlier TomTom setup.

Hope this helps!!

Has anyone used Route Converter to plan their own routes for Navigon Mobile Navigator? How do you get the PC Route Converter to transfer to the Navigon IPhone? Can you attach the file to an email and get navigon to open it on the iphone?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tryteds
Has anyone used Route Converter to plan their own routes for Navigon Mobile Navigator? How do you get the PC Route Converter to transfer to the Navigon IPhone? Can you attach the file to an email and get navigon to open it on the iphone?
Yup, just throw the file into an email from your computer and send it to yourself. Check your email on the phone and Navigon will automatically recognize it and open it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
tryteds
Novice

Yup, just throw the file into an email from your computer and send it to yourself. Check your email on the phone and Navigon will automatically recognize it and open it.
Fabulous - Thank you! How has the experience with Route Converter been? Have you used it on a loop? Or longer tour?

Old 10-12-2011, 12:49 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Originally Posted by tryteds
Fabulous - Thank you! How has the experience with Route Converter been? Have you used it on a loop? Or longer tour?
It has worked flawlessly for me. Just a tip if you choose to create the route in google maps like I do. When transferring the route to the converter, go through the way points in the converter and clean them up. Sometimes it will have you go one way and then doing a Uturn to go the other way when you can just clean it up to go in the right direction. Basically Navigon will take you however it is shown. So if a way point is like off by 200 feet at a turn, it will take you to that point before kicking you in the right direction. I just zoom in and move the point to the corner or just before a corner so that when I hit that point it will just keep me going in the right direction. Hope that wasn't confusing! Lol

Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Oh and another tip! Be sure to save your maps for future use. Over time you can really develop a nice collection of routes and you'll find roads that are just awesome. Especially in the mountains!

Quick Reply: Iphone and gps