General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I pulled a fast one on a Metric dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 PM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Think I pulled a fast one on a Metric dealer

Local Suz/Yam/CanAm/Polaris dealer had an 09 FXD w/ 1406 miles advertised for $11,375. Been wanting to add to the Sporty in the garage, so I went to check it out yesterday. Already has forwards and an HD padded sissy bar.

Immediately knew it was an FXDC by the Fat Bob tank w/ speedo, laced chrome wheels, 2 up seat, etc. Tag said FXD so I got VIN # and checked it at an online decoder site last night. Sure enough, an FXDC. So, I went today, worked price to $10,703 including $275 gift card and 25% off for accessories, and signed up. Bill of sale says FXD. Pick it up Sat. morn and will post pics.

Kelly BB retail for 09 FXDC is $12,375 with average miles (FXD $11625), this one has only 1406 miles. Sounds and rides like it's supposed to. Tires look new. Pretty much spotless. Black/pewter 2 tone.

Should I rub it in their face about the model error (I'm dying to), or just let it slide and ride away with a ****-eatin' grin on my face?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Sekhemempet
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say ride away with it without saying anything to the dealer... then laugh with your friends about it later on. Great find! Congrats!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 349 Likes on 158 Posts

Let it slide. Gloating can come back to haunt you. Be content in the fact that you got a good deal and smile all the way to the bank.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JonW
Let it slide. Gloating can come back to haunt you. Be content in the fact that you got a good deal and smile all the way to the bank.
Agreed. Besides, you really didn't pull anything off on them. They still made money. They might not know what the model was, but they knew what they had in it, and made a profit no doubt. If you bragged to them, I doubt they would even care, to be honest. Congrats on the new bike though, show some pics when you get a chance!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Since you bought it at a Local Suz/Yam/CanAm/Polaris dealer. Meaning Ride Now which is also part of a couple of Harley dealers here in Phoenix. I really don't think you pulled a fast one on them. I'm sure they knew what they were doing. The main thing is if you think you got a deal, Then you got a deal. Enjoy the new ride.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:56 PM
TSD1959
Tourer

You guys are right on. I'm not going to mention anything to them, but friends are gonna hear all about it.

Cotton, you're right, it was RideNow. Didn't know they owned any HD dealerships though. Just seems odd they didn't advertise it as a Custom model, or really price it more. Must not communicate well with their HD dealers.

After about 30 min. of negotiations and me walking toward the door over the last $265.00 (which I eventually got with the gift card), sales mgr. showed me the computer screen showing they were in the bike slightly over $10,000, so I guess $700 profit plus doc fee and finance profit was fair to both of us. If they didn't make money, their doors wouldn't stay open very long.

I'm happy, and I'm sure they are too. Thanks to all your responses for keeping me from being a bigger *** than I already am.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

When any dealer from a car dealer to a metric dealer takes a trade in on an HD before they offer a trade in price they call a HD dealer and find out what the dealer will buy the bike from them for. Then that is the price they offer as the trade in value.

With what you are paying they made their money. So it is win win. They are happy and you are happy.

To top it all off you got one fine bike for the money. Enjoy.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Great deal for you, but they made money...I'm sure. Probably from the poor b-turd who traded it in on a metric...

Last edited by Iceman24; 10-01-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: sp
Old 10-01-2011, 06:03 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Enjoy the deal. Don't gloat. Karma doesn't like gloating.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:23 AM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is with any dealer they know what they paid to get it and they know their margin of profit they are gonna hold and regardless of model they get their bottom dollar or the bike rots on their floor. I've seen dealers hold on to bikes for years until they got what they needed and eventually "somebody" came along and bailed them out.

Quick Reply: Think I pulled a fast one on a Metric dealer