General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watch out for Craigslist scams

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 03:04 PM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Watch out for Craigslist scams

Just a heads up I know alot of us use Craigslist to sell parts and buy and I also know alot of us know there are alot of scammers out the trying to shaft us. I just wanted to post one that I personally got from a guy saying he would send payment for an item I am selling and to remove the listing. I don't know how this scam works but I got an email a couple of years ago at work about something very similar. I always say to myself if it looks fishy or to good of a deal it usually is. I am putting a copy of what he sent me below for an example.

Kevin

Re: Harley Davidson Rush Slip On Mufflers - $180

john sean [johnstoress9@gmail.com]

I was told by my assistant that your item is still for sale ,i would have loved to come and see it,but my schedule is very tight.I will mail out your payment once you provide your full name.phone number and address.I can only pay via money order as am on a business trip now,pls let me know where to send your payment to because i wouldn't want to lose it to someone else.I don't mind adding thirty ($30) dollars so you can keep it in my favor,you should get your payment in 4-6 working days i will appreciate if you can get the ad off craigslist so i can be sure you are keeping it in my favor.Please let me know as soon as you receive it so i can start making arrangement for the pick-up.
Thanks
john

Old 09-30-2011, 03:20 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I, too, can't figure how the scam works since you're not giving out secure information such as banking #'s, ss#, etc. I've gotten the same type of responses on some of my craigslist adds and have always stayed clear of any correspondence. You would have to be a total moron to think it's legit. But, I would be interested as well if anyone on here can enlighten us as to how the scam works. Good post.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Mtdew
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually they will pay with a money order which is bogus with more money than you asked for the item you are selling. And being a good sport you send the item along with the extra money they overpaid while the bank will contact you about a week later saying the money order was not legit and they you are out the item and the extra money you sent them.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This is only the first part of the scam. The second part is where you are convinced to send the item over without cash in hand. The promise of $30 extra to remove the posting makes you feel that this deal is legit. The fact is, though, that you never receive any money. The request for name, address, etc. is just a means to make you feel that information will be used to send the money. Stay away from these types of requests.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL scams on craigslist?

You don't say.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess if you're naive enough to think it's legit, you'd probably send the item before the check cleared too.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Coastal_Moto_Man
Former Sponsor
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are paid with a money order take it to the bank and make sure it is legit before sending parts.

I have also seen bogus bank checks sent as well so I would make sure they are legit as well.