General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've heard a lot of crap about the Hoka Hey

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 339 Likes on 205 Posts
Default I've heard a lot of crap about the Hoka Hey

So why don't we have a rally of our own. one we can do with a weeks vacation. (average guy). Put in $100 and winner take all.

Figure out a tracking system...

Gps allowed, coast to coast? Wa, to Ca, Ca to Fl, Fl to NY (with some Canadian content too [wink, wink])

Just a bad idea...

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
So why don't we have a rally of our own. one we can do with a weeks vacation. (average guy). Put in $100 and winner take all.

Figure out a tracking system...

Gps allowed, coast to coast? Wa, to Ca, Ca to Fl, Fl to NY (with some Canadian content too [wink, wink])

Just a bad idea...
Why do you need a tracking system. Why not just a cannonball run from point A to point B on the other coast, any way you want to go? I guess the hard part would be to make sure somebody didn't load up on a truck and take turns driving and go around the clock across the country, but that's mainly an issue if there is big money involved.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 AM
SDr6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty serious ride, My gf's uncle did it this last time, something like 14k+ miles... freakin' insane

Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Why do you need a tracking system. Why not just a cannonball run from point A to point B on the other coast, any way you want to go? I guess the hard part would be to make sure somebody didn't load up on a truck and take turns driving and go around the clock across the country, but that's mainly an issue if there is big money involved.
Or maybe logging beginning and finishing mileage with various check points along the way.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

I road the Hoka Hey this year. It is an insane ride and one you have to take to understand. It was approx 14K miles in 16 days. You have to be dedicated to finish and you have to be insane to ride the mileage to get there. The stories of no sleep, 24 plus hours of riding for each leg of the trip, crashes and on the road repairs are all true to some extent.

I can safely say I road my 2010 road glide like a dirt bike over the course and it held up with no problems, even after i ran off the road and hit a tree stump causing over $1000 of damage to the front wheel, tire and handlebars. I then proceeded to ride another 10,000 after these on the road repairs to finish in NS. This is not a ride for the meek and if you think you have what it takes. then sign up and give it your best shot, if not stay home and out of the way.

dont be surprised of the damage you do to your bike, (my ultimate damage total was $11K including body and paint work), the true friends you make and the addictive nature of the ride making you want to go again next year.

Also, understand very clearly, you have lost every excuse you may have had for not riding. During the ride you will ride in every concievable element, rain sleet snow wind hail etc, during the day, at night, in traffic, no traffic, gravel roads, dirt roads, backroads and freeways all at speeds higher than you might image. The ride will truly change your mental disposition and if it does not, then you did not put your heart and soul into the attempt and devote all your energy to a successful finish.

I say this knowing full well i'll be flamed and i just don't care. If you have the toughness to sign up to take the ride, look for me. I am rider #622 and I will be there.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey bigskyroadglide! No idea why you thought you might get flamed for your post. Jeepers creepers I've got a lot of admiration for anyone who can straddle a bike and do what you did. Any more a 250 mile ride is enough to make my backside start complaining so no way would I ever attempt anything like the Hoka Hey. I reckon anyone who can complete the Hoka Hey does indeed have "true grit".

Old 09-30-2011, 11:25 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

11K in damage

I understand the ride, but I don't understand maiming your bike to that extent to do it. guess I'm just a poser

Old 09-30-2011, 11:35 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

How about a semi organized ride, no cost, no prize.
Ride as little or as much of the route as you like. Join the group for lunch, for an hour, a day or a few days as it passes near your area.
Various members could suggest segments of the route, lodging or meal stops/attractions. Someone fits them all together to build the map and set a rough schedule.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
How about a semi organized ride, no cost, no prize.
Ride as little or as much of the route as you like. Join the group for lunch, for an hour, a day or a few days as it passes near your area.
Various members could suggest segments of the route, lodging or meal stops/attractions. Someone fits them all together to build the map and set a rough schedule.
Victory does a cross country like that. they do it in legs and anyone can ride a leg

Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

IF ? I were to sustain body and paint damage during the Hoka Hey I'm not sure I would make any repairs. Kind of badges, or memmentos. Broke my brake lever in a drop at Sturgis in '06 and it's still there, reminds me to go easy on that front brake.

Quick Reply: I've heard a lot of crap about the Hoka Hey