General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've heard a lot of crap about the Hoka Hey

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I will just admit up front that I know I dont have the "what it takes" to do the Hokay Hey. I love to ride and plan to do full time touring of these United States when I retire, which cant come soon enough! I have now ridden in 42 of the continental states. I want to ride some of them again and spend more time seeing what I didnt take the time to see before. However I will not put my life at any more risk than I already do when riding a motorcycle these days just to be able to say "I did it." I have nothing but admiration and awe for the guys and gals who rode in both of the Hokay Hey Challenges. I was lucky enough to be able to meet some of them and speak with them about their experience. In no way do I mean to demean them by stating my feelings bout myself or my abilities. I dont want to subject myself or my bike to the rigors of such a challenge. Does it make me less of a man? I dont think so. A man has to know his limits. Sadly most do not. Flame away.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds like one helluva ride. Shiny side up

Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Why do you need a tracking system. Why not just a cannonball run from point A to point B on the other coast, any way you want to go? I guess the hard part would be to make sure somebody didn't load up on a truck and take turns driving and go around the clock across the country, but that's mainly an issue if there is big money involved.
Bikes mileage check would cure that one I'd think, but bring up someone using 2or3 riders and taking turns.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my contribution to the pile of great ideas. I think it would be difficult to pull off but within the realm of possibility.

We make a set course that is something that can be accomplished in 5 aggressive riding days to limit to one week as someone else suggested.

HDF members divide themselves into two groups, riders, and verifiers. Riders are going to ride the set course and verifiers are going to man a post on a schedule for 2 12 hour shifts each.

Posts may be anything from the corner of a Walmart parking lot to a HD dealer to someone's field.

Based on the volunteers that are willing to commit to 2 12 hour shifts we establish the posts along the route such that there is never more than 175 miles between posts (this also evens out the touring bike advantage) and each post has a minimum of 6 volunteers assigned to it to provide coverage and backup for 3 12 hour periods. Starting @ 6:00 AM each morning and ending @ 6:00 PM the next day.

We divide the course up into days and posts

Day 1 Post 1 - 6
Day 2 Post 7 - 12
Day 3 Post 13 - 18
Day 4 Post 19 - 24
Day 5 Posts 26 - 30

We develop a "ballot box" mechanism where every rider creates 30 "ballots" that they will submit at each post to a verifier to have the date and time established, identity verified (picture ID) and the ballot submitted. Verifiers will be responsible for tabulating the ballots for their post and submitting to a designated thread at the end of there verification schedule. Someone on the forum will be responsible for tabulating the ballots to determine which riders hit which posts and determine a winner that hit all 30 posts within the designated time and did so the fastest.

This would have to be somewhat iterative... HDF members volunteer to be verifiers first then we plot a course that works with the volunteer pool and probably fill-in some posts till we get a course set.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

Lots of good ideas, I guess I was thinking of something to do next summer. I did Sturgis last year and it was fun, but I can't see myself going back year after year.

My job affords me three weeks holidays and I'd be thinking one would be available for a good ride. [two for family commitments]

Of course I'm thinking Vancouver BC, but that is my starting / finishing place...

Anyhow, I wish I had the marbles, time, and resources to do a killer ride. I respect those that did the Hoka Hey, and really don't think I could ride 22 hours a day, no matter how comfortable I think my seat is... Maybe 18?

I suggested the entry fee as to make it interesting. $50 is not a ton of cash, and $50 x 10 riders [for example] is more bragging rights than anything else.

Pretty easy to get confirmation [I'd think] HD Dealers - Service Departments, get them to run a no sale, or go for a t-shirt tour. Hell I can always use a few more t-shirts... [I'm kidding about the t-shirts. $25 a pop] Dip Dots? Pin? Just something logo'd and a receipt. A GPS trip log might work too.

In a week can you go coast to coast and back? [It was a comfortable two day ride from Here to Sturgis.]

Harry

Old 10-04-2011, 02:32 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXHS
So why don't we have a rally of our own. one we can do with a weeks vacation. (average guy). Put in $100 and winner take all.

Figure out a tracking system...

Gps allowed, coast to coast? Wa, to Ca, Ca to Fl, Fl to NY (with some Canadian content too [wink, wink])

Just a bad idea...
I ride a Nightster... count me in for the first hundred or so miles!

Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You guys need to look up the "Not Superman Rally".

In 2012 it is a 5 day rally. They penalize you if you don't document enough rest time. There is a "Novice" division for rookies.

On the other end of the spectrum is the "Iron Butt Rally". The winner will have to ride 14,000 miles in 10 days.

For those looking into starting endurance riding look at the IBA, start with a Saddle Sore 1,000 (1000 miles in less than 24 hours) and go up from there. The Bun Burner is 1500 miles in less than 36 hours, The Bun Burner Gold is 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. There is a Coast to Coast 50. Jacksonville to San Diego in less than 50 hours, and the CCC 100. 100 hours to go Jacksonville to San Diego and back. And some more rides are even more extreme. All can be done on your own schedule with just you or as many as want to try it with you.

To the original topic: As long as the winner gets paid his money, all is good with the Hoka Hey.

To all the finishers of the Hoka Hey, you have my respect! It has to be a grueling rally.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-04-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:34 AM
mrjimbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or spend a week in June and do a 24 or 72hr Rally.....check out the Utah1088 at www.utah1088.com which also offers a 10-n-10 rally(in Sept., you do not have to "draw" a slot to run it, and it's "somewhat" cheaper to register. I say somewhat because any rally of that distance is going to cost some ducketts to run).
I've run the Utah1088, great group of folks......a SPOT is required now though for tracking(more for safety purposes) and I think this year will be a "smart phone" requirement as well.........
Harleys are not well represented.....Big time BMW crowd.....

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
You guys need to look up the "Not Superman Rally".

In 2012 it is a 5 day rally. They penalize you if you don't document enough rest time. There is a "Novice" division for rookies.

On the other end of the spectrum is the "Iron Butt Rally". The winner will have to ride 14,000 miles in 10 days.

For those looking into starting endurance riding look at the IBA, start with a Saddle Sore 1,000 (1000 miles in less than 24 hours) and go up from there. The Bun Burner is 1500 miles in less than 36 hours, The Bun Burner Gold is 1500 miles in less than 24 hours. There is a Coast to Coast 50. Jacksonville to San Diego in less than 50 hours, and the CCC 100. 100 hours to go Jacksonville to San Diego and back. And some more rides are even more extreme. All can be done on your own schedule with just you or as many as want to try it with you.

To the original topic: As long as the winner gets paid his money, all is good with the Hoka Hey.

To all the finishers of the Hoka Hey, you have my respect! It has to be a grueling rally.
The CC doesn't have to go from Jax to SD, that's just the shortest route.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
The CC doesn't have to go from Jax to SD, that's just the shortest route.
Very true. I live in Florida, so I naturally defaulted to that as a start location. Because of the distance it is also the most used route. Just under 2,400 miles one way, water to water.
(the CCC100 is high on my bucket list)

Quick Reply: I've heard a lot of crap about the Hoka Hey