General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made In China

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:34 AM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to buy another pair of Ariat boot for work... MADE IN CHINA.

Bought Justin's instead - MADE IN USA

Not gonna change the world, but at least i'm supporting ONE American company.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
skeberr
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you Dave. Just some things I have to buy from China. That's one of our biggest problems in our country. All import and no export. How can we recover with this logic?

Old 10-01-2011, 12:12 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Just wait till American flags are made in China

Old 10-01-2011, 01:24 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Just wait till American flags are made in China
Not another 'Made in China' thread!!!

As to the flag, I've got one I display on holidays and just checked it. Made in China.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

America is Farmed out!

Old 10-01-2011, 06:17 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's made in China, or anywhere else, it's not made here. Multi-national corporations have laid off a lot of Americans (a couple of million) over the past few years, and have 'exported' those jobs to other countries, hiring just as many 'foreign' workers.

If it's worth it to us all to pay 30 bucks for a Chinese t-shirt versus 40 or 50 for a US-made, then we're there. It's a little troubling that our economy is in such bad shape, and there's no real imperative or drive by America at this time to keep our manufacturing at 'home'. To the contrary, in many quarters. Just thank God America can still afford to share our good fortune, and wealth, with others. Our friends all around the world would surely do the same for us, wouldn't they?

This is a serious problem. There's just so much to go around. More people in the world all the time. People with empty bellies can be very troublesome. So you give them something, a little 'taste', to keep them quiet. You give it to them...or else they'll try to take it. Which makes things messy for everyone. That 'taste' has to come out of someone's share of the pie... Not the rich man's. He's hoarding his stash (and he's got other ways of making dough rather than relying on things being made here, at home). So it comes out of your share, and the share of your neighbors, every working man and woman in America... And to make sure we continue to go along and won't protest too much, they convince us our 'neighbor' is the problem. They seek to set us against ourselves. Maybe there are inequalities the Rich Man is not responsible for, but these are nowhere near accounting for the lion's share of our current situation. We need to address the big issues, first. Who do you think 'seeded' the Tea Party? Do some research. You'll be amazed.

The Rich Man gets his cut, regardless of where things are made. They're called multi-national corporations because they've got their foot in the door in multiple countries. In fact, the Rich Man will actually make more if things are made overseas, since he pays a lower wage to have the stuff made. And it's good for us, too, right? Who wants to pay 50 bucks for the same t-shirt, if you can get it for 30?

I suspect I will come to care about where the jobs are when it's my turn to have my job 'shipped overseas'. In the meantime, I'll go to bed every night, close my eyes, and when the alarm goes off before dawn I'll get up and go to the same job I've had for 30 years. And I'll keep 'saving' 10 or 20 bucks, on whatever I can, and count myself the smartest shopper.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 10-01-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:48 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not everything is made in China. Many textiles are made in Thailand or Vietnam.

Next time you go grocery shopping take notice of the brand name products - many are made in China. Now look at the generics - you'll find quite a few that are made in the US.
Don't buy into the common misconception that we don't manufacture anything here anymore.

Old 10-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I was flying for that, previously American, beer company they were negotiating to buy part of a Chinese brewery. I flew the Chinese executives around the USA visiting many of our breweries. At the end of the trip the Chinese CEO asked if he could give us a gift to show his appreciation, it was a very nice watch with the Chinese company's logo on the face. When I got it home and looked at the back it said, "Made in Japan."

Even the Chinese don't buy their own stuff.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Another major export from the U.S. is leather. Most of the worlds leather is from the US. One of the big buyers - Italy.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny story, I actually have Chinese friends and when they came over here they also wanted to buy a "Made in the USA" product. They were quit surprised. It shocked them just how much of the stuff here is made in their country. One day we will be making stuff for them...

Quick Reply: Made In China