General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Bolts or Caps...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chrome Bolts or Caps...

I'm deciding on whether I'm going to get chrome bolts or just chrome caps to cover or replace the chitty factory ones I got now. I've been checking out the web for what there is out there but haven't as of yet to decide to put out the rather large cash for the bolts or just spend not quite as large cash on caps. I find the caps more or less all PVC and have to use silicone to hold them on and can't really picture chrome colored plastic as being a sound investment...I assume replacement if removed thereafter and a choked mechanic who has to pry them off. Bolts...well I don't know one from another, they all look the same in the pics and to me would be a better investment than the caps.
I just want to add chrome bolts on the engine like the derby cover,timer cover, inspection cover, transmission cover and a few more. It would be great of some kind soul or souls would tell me what the sizes and lengths are of the bolts that are on and around the engine area.
I'm also curious to what some of you have to say about the pros and cons of either chrome caps or bolts.
A link to a supplier who sells good quality bolts preferably made on this continent would also be a nice touch.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have caps on all nuts bolts diden`t use any kinda stickup and they have stayed on for yrs, even mech, took them off and reused them, i use s/s bolts places i cannot use caps

Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm not much for chrome caps or covers. I'd go for chrome bolts.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Removing all the engine tranny bolts and replacing them IMHO just creates the potential for issues such as potential leaks or improper torquing etc. I purchase the Hot Topper drive line kit after 1000 miles and after I've checked the critical bolt torques. They look good and are warranteed for life. I have had them on a few bikes with good success. I do leave the toppers off of the primary and instead use the top hats and hot spots since the primary requires periodic service.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Get ya a sharpie and paint them black for contrast. Less than 4 bucks.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done both. The Hot Toppers are much, much easier to install and look better. You just push them on.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,986 Likes on 4,177 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Get ya a sharpie and paint them black for contrast. Less than 4 bucks.
I agree. Depends on what you are trying to do. My opinion is some of it gets to be just so much clutter. My bike is a rider and gets left out in rain on many occasions but I try to keep it half decent (maybe 1/4). The swing arm covers look very clunky. I sprayed them semi-flat black along with the rear axle nut and adjusters. Just took piece of paper and cut an outline and held it over and sprayed it on bike. The crappy hardware just blended in. Used flat Al spray on some of the engines bolts and capped (just allen or torx holes) in primary. Used sharpie on nicks and bolts on black around handlebars, master cylinder and other misc, leather dye on seat scuffs and nicks. Some caps require a little snip of double stick tape like on my bar clamp to stay on but they pry easily out.

Attached Thumbnails Chrome Bolts or Caps...-safety-number-1.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-29-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,780 Likes on 802 Posts

Maybe you can get bolt types and sizes from this:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....?Type=12&A=388

Old 09-29-2011, 08:58 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

So far, all caps.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mostly HD caps with a few Hot Toppers.
Some polished stainless bolts and washers I got from Ace Hardware.

Quick Reply: Chrome Bolts or Caps...