General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK or Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011 | 08:41 AM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

After looking thru the picture section on here last night, I have come to determine that my wife loves the Fat Boy. Ive always liked it as well. I think Im leaning more towards one of them now fellas. I appreciate all the info... LOL

Old 09-29-2011 | 10:23 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

We will see you in a couple years when you wish you had bought the touring frame.

But the Fatboy is a sharp looking bike.

Enjoy.

Old 09-29-2011 | 11:46 AM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Well that is one of my fears, but like she said... "Hey its your 1st Harley"... I interpret that as her saying that its inevitable there will be more to come I figure if I just cant live with it, then I can always trade up later on... while Im at it, can anyone give me some tips on shopping for a fatty ?

Old 09-29-2011 | 12:38 PM
Ben E
Road Captain

You can't go wrong either way as long as you get an RoadKing.

Old 09-29-2011 | 01:18 PM
Mr.Gone
Tourer

Its the King for me. Love it.

Old 09-29-2011 | 01:27 PM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ben E
You can't go wrong either way as long as you get an RoadKing.
Thanks for clearing that up for me LOL

Old 09-30-2011 | 12:01 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cometsoft
I'm sure some RK advocates know how "crappy" the stereo is, but in my case I don't. I should have said obnoxious. Just like loud pipes. Maybe you're courteous when you pull up next to whatever but what about the rest of the world you drive by?

Ethics aside, I'd rather have the view than the tunes.
What view exactly is being obstructed with a fairing??

Rest of the world when I drive by? You mean IF they hear it or do you promote quiet tread patterns on cars? And quieter than stock pipes? Concern about drive-by music annoyance is really stretching assuming it's even loud enough.

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I think anyone wearing a full face helmet on a Street Glide and having to up the volume on their radio just to hear it shouldn't be allowed to comment.

Oh, and I don't think the stereo is crappy. But I'm not real fond of the stock speakers.
That IS funny! I found where the speakers lack is a pack run, 75mph, riding tandem, earplugs and faceshield down. Faceshield up is better.

Originally Posted by Spindrifter
Crappy is a subjective term and I meant no insult to your ride. We agree that both are awesome bikes. I think Danny Z-71 is right it's mostly the stock speakers, the deck itself is fine. Naive to think that RK owners have never owned or ridden a fairing bike.... I'm very familiar myself...I like the fairing bikes just fine, the protection and comfort are great. The gauges are a bonus etc. The whole point is there are options to having tunes on a RK and not buying a fairing bike just for a stereo...To each his own
There are options, but they are compromises, some worse than others.

Originally Posted by Nirvana
I just don't understand the point of a stereo on a motorcycle. As someone who considers himself an audiophile, you can never get a good audio system on a motorcycle, no matter how much you spend. The first step in setting up any good mobile audio system is to get the ambient noise down... way down. The only effective method on a motorcycle is to use earphones / headphones within the confines of an over-the-ear helmet.

Just my two cents distilled from the thousands of dollars I've spent on all types of audio systems for my home and vehicles over decades.
Originally Posted by warrconn
Last thing I want on a bike is a radio/sound system. When I'm riding, I don't need any more entertainment than the sound of the motor and what's going on around me. Plus, I always cringe when I pull up to a rider at a light and he/she has some corny classic rock BLASTING...like some 16 year old kid in '73 in a jacked up 4 door '68 Nova.. And I don't need or want the weight and wiring complexity.
It's a matter of preference for those who like to compliment the situation or mood. A goofy, extreme, yet applicable example is when a stadium or track plays music on the PA in between plays or races.

Myself, when I got my first bike, on one of my first rides, I was wishing for music. On our last ride to Street Vibes, a 675 mile weekend 2-up, the music was always on and it was great.

Some people turn on the TV or stereo every time they get home. Some work with music. Everybody is different and not everybody likes chocolate ice cream.

Back to the OP, if you plan on putting on the miles, temperature changes, gear, riding 2-up, hundreds of miles, an RK for sure over any softail.

Old 09-30-2011 | 07:28 AM
Cometsoft
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
What view exactly is being obstructed with a fairing??
Depends what's in front of you. View with fairing = View with no fairing. You're either joking or have never ridden a bike without a fairing.

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
...Concern about drive-by music annoyance is really stretching assuming it's even loud enough.
Only when it's loud enough. If it can't be heard, who cares?

Old 09-30-2011 | 07:21 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cometsoft
Depends what's in front of you. View with fairing = View with no fairing. You're either joking or have never ridden a bike without a fairing.

Only when it's loud enough. If it can't be heard, who cares?
Are you short or do you look at your feet a lot? The only time the fairing obstructs my view is when I put the bike on the cycle dolly.

I can hear it, others can't or it's the same noise level as the rest of traffic. It was a silly question.

Old 09-30-2011 | 07:37 PM
dstonemega
Tourer

Road King looks awesome without the windshield.

Street glide looks good and feels cramped.

Road glide looks awesome and handles better in the parking lot than a Street Glide, check it out.

Quick Reply: RK or Streetglide