General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK or Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011 | 11:52 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
I do love the look of the RK with the hard bags and a set of apes... I will say that probably 80% of the time it will just be me on the bike, with the occasional trip with the wife... And a little background, I am 250 and 6'3.. 30 yrs old...

My daughter's boyfriend has a street glide, and he's pretty good size too. He rode my King and was impressed, saying he felt cramped some times on his SG, yet felt like he had room to stretch out on the King. May just be a mental picture since he has all that fairing in front of him.

Old 09-28-2011 | 12:07 PM
Spindrifter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
So wrong on many counts. The RK is excellent on many counts but how funny those that knock the SG are the reasons the SG is chosen. And yes, my passenger loves it, and we are curteous pulling up next to fellow riders or drivers. Too bad those you ride with don't. CDs also have mp3 formatting btw.

OP, if you do ride 2-up, several hundred miles a weekend, get a touring bike or you will end up with one.

Btw RK owners, the stereo isn't crappy. Don't comment on wha you don't know.

Crappy is a subjective term and I meant no insult to your ride. We agree that both are awesome bikes. I think Danny Z-71 is right it's mostly the stock speakers, the deck itself is fine. Naive to think that RK owners have never owned or ridden a fairing bike.... I'm very familiar myself...I like the fairing bikes just fine, the protection and comfort are great. The gauges are a bonus etc. The whole point is there are options to having tunes on a RK and not buying a fairing bike just for a stereo...To each his own

Old 09-28-2011 | 04:08 PM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

Im just gonna have to go over each of these bikes again.. I cant make my mind up at all... Im back to thinking about a Fat Boy ... Looks like I could add a fairing and even hard bags, it would look good with a set of apes on it too... Not to mention they are cheaper in price.... Talk about frustrating... I honestly thought I wanted a SG, then a RK, now a FB... Damn....

Old 09-28-2011 | 04:18 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That's ok. One of these days soon you'll be looking at the trikes.

-LLLL- -LLLL- -LLLL- Now that's funny, skip the touring rigs and go stright to the three wheelers. I like that! :- )

Tq

Old 09-28-2011 | 05:18 PM
BlackhawkDriver
Tourer

Street glide for me just because if I have to get one of those big f*ckers I want tunes and fairing. Other than that i'll stick with the fat bob.

Old 09-28-2011 | 05:21 PM
CardiacThug
Advanced

I was where you were 2 yrs ago. I had been hit and had the luxery of researching for two years and really get the bike that I wanted. I swear to god...it had its pros and cons but you can go nuts trying to choose, especially with everyones input here on the web. I was dead set on a fatbob...it had great reviews and rode like a dream after 8-10 demo days and sitting on that damn thing. Point is, i had a fat insurance check(still warm from the printer) and I was going to dealer to pick up the fatbob and low and behold it was another damn demo ride day. I thought i would try out a couple of tourers for ***** and giggles and was instantly in love with the 2010 road king. I had more leg room on the king compared to the street glide. I'm 5'10 and really felt cramped on the SG. I know 5'10 isnt big, but thats just how the SG made me feel. I bought the RK and had it lowered and put a different seat on it. Perfect in every way. To me, riding is about you and the road with wind in your face. Time to think and not listen to music, so a radio wasnt even an issue. My vote is for the RK. Old school and good for trips to walmart to get milk or taking the wife on a 2 day ride down the coast.

Old 09-28-2011 | 08:27 PM
aggiejason
Cruiser
Thumbs up Think I finally got it right.

I've gone from this:

'04 Heritage

to this:
'06 Ultra

And now this:
'08 Road King

The King does anything well.

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:12 PM
warrconn
Road Master

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
Street glide has a radio in the fairing.....
Last thing I want on a bike is a radio/sound system. When I'm riding, I don't need any more entertainment than the sound of the motor and what's going on around me. Plus, I always cringe when I pull up to a rider at a light and he/she has some corny classic rock BLASTING...like some 16 year old kid in '73 in a jacked up 4 door '68 Nova.. And I don't need or want the weight and wiring complexity.

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:23 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

It's not very hard to upgrade a radio and speakers if you want, I wouldn't let a "factory stereo" deter me.

I really like both bikes, can't go wrong with either, I think it comes down to whether or not you want a fairing and radio.

Old 09-28-2011 | 09:36 PM
streetglidin
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pretz
I took the wife to the HD dealership and I showed her the pearl white RK and the vivid black SG. I told here to pick and she picked the SG because she loved the look.
We have a winner.Chics dig the SG

Quick Reply: RK or Streetglide