General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK or Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011 | 10:06 AM
Spindrifter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
That would be a PITA and dangerous adjusting the volume, choosing playlists, etc. Not to mention the options of radio and CD.

The sound level complaints are baseless as well.

RK owners shouldn't comment on stereo aspects.

We liked using our headsets dedicated for conversation and the stereo for ambient sound. At 75mph, FF helmets, and non-stock pipes.

We liked our dedicated

And fumbling around with CDs is less dangerous? You can setup a playlist that is several hours long and not touch a thing. They have volume controls on the cord these days. I can comment on whatever I want, especially if I get tired of listening to that tinny racket coming from someones "ambient" setup. The OP also was interested in the RK with his desire for a stereo, we offered some options...

Old 09-28-2011 | 10:26 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Okay here is my check list:

Looks Good:
RK - Check
SG - Check

Touring frame:
RK - Check
SG - Check

All day riding comfort:
RK - Check
SG - Check

Can add tour pak:
RK - Check
SG - Check

Speedo:
RK - Check
SG - Check

Guages:
RK - Guages...who needs stinkin guages!
SG - Check

Fairing:
RK - Buy a detachable...check
SG - Check

Stereo:
RK - See above...check
SG - Check

Looks good with apes:

RK - Check
SG - Not so much

Can ride with windshield only:
RK - Check
SG - Nope

Can ride with no fairing or windshield:
RK - Check
SG - Sorry Charlie

Is a naked front end cruiser and touring bike:
RK - Check
SG - Oh Snap!

What can I say I am biased. If you can only have one bike, and want one that does many things...gotta go with the KING!

Old 09-28-2011 | 10:29 AM
black dyna
Tourer

my next bike will be the king with hard bags .streetglide no rear floor boards and no driving lites.if you dont get the king get the plain classic and take off what you dont want and not have to buy things you get for free like floorboards for the old lady.

Old 09-28-2011 | 10:36 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

So wrong on many counts. The RK is excellent on many counts but how funny those that knock the SG are the reasons the SG is chosen. And yes, my passenger loves it, and we are curteous pulling up next to fellow riders or drivers. Too bad those you ride with don't. CDs also have mp3 formatting btw.

OP, if you do ride 2-up, several hundred miles a weekend, get a touring bike or you will end up with one.

Btw RK owners, the stereo isn't crappy. Don't comment on wha you don't know.

Old 09-28-2011 | 10:43 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

Btw, finding a cord with volume control on my person, constantly taking my left hand off the handlebar depending upon my speed, conversation or traffic conditions vs. Automatic volume adjustment and a thumb switch? No thank you.

Old 09-28-2011 | 11:14 AM
Cometsoft
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Btw RK owners, the stereo isn't crappy. Don't comment on wha you don't know.
I'm sure some RK advocates know how "crappy" the stereo is, but in my case I don't. I should have said obnoxious. Just like loud pipes. Maybe you're courteous when you pull up next to whatever but what about the rest of the world you drive by?

Ethics aside, I'd rather have the view than the tunes.

Old 09-28-2011 | 11:36 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just Dave
You might like hearing your stereo but I can guarantee you that someone you ride with just hates having to hear it. Nothing but tinny sounding tones to every body else around you. Are you one of those that pulls up to get gas and leaves it blasting? Are we allowed to comment if we used to have an awful sounding stereo until we saw the light and bought a Road King.

I think anyone wearing a full face helmet on a Street Glide and having to up the volume on their radio just to hear it shouldn't be allowed to comment.

Oh, and I don't think the stereo is crappy. But I'm not real fond of the stock speakers.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 09-28-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:41 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bjewell
Get a Fat Boy. It's at least a 100lbs. lighter, looks better rides fine and with a removable backrest is a comfortable bike for a passenger. Touring bikes are for old guys and fat guys. Being 66 and in decent shape I'm not ready for a 825 lb. monstrosity slathered in plastic.

Oops! gotta go...

That's ok. One of these days soon you'll be looking at the trikes.

Old 09-28-2011 | 11:49 AM
sharpshooter
|
Road Warrior

I do love the look of the RK with the hard bags and a set of apes... I will say that probably 80% of the time it will just be me on the bike, with the occasional trip with the wife... And a little background, I am 250 and 6'3.. 30 yrs old...

Old 09-28-2011 | 11:51 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain

I just don't understand the point of a stereo on a motorcycle. As someone who considers himself an audiophile, you can never get a good audio system on a motorcycle, no matter how much you spend. The first step in setting up any good mobile audio system is to get the ambient noise down... way down. The only effective method on a motorcycle is to use earphones / headphones within the confines of an over-the-ear helmet.

Just my two cents distilled from the thousands of dollars I've spent on all types of audio systems for my home and vehicles over decades.

Quick Reply: RK or Streetglide