General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advice on good heavyduty rain pants.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts
Default advice on good heavyduty rain pants.

Im looking for something to replace the chaps in the cold and waterproof for riding in the rain. Maby like a heavy canvas. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,013 Likes on 17,912 Posts

Check out Carhart bibs they have a good selection for any environment & temp. , I used to wear a set for bad weather & cold in the midwest

Old 09-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just spend the dough and buy the Harley ones with the mesh liner or whatever it is now.

My wife and I rode back on our bikes from Ocean City last weekend through a cold rain. We wore chaps over our rain gear (cold rain). My gear was a 3rd party high end suit and my wife had the HD brand. We were both toasty and dry the entire ride back (200 miles)...until I got off my bike and notice my crotch was damp and cold under my gear. The after market suit let just enough moisture through the seams. My wife's HD suit had no issues...twice the money of mine, twice more effective.

Neither of us use a windshield (she has a sporty and I have a fat boy.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:51 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Check out Carhart bibs they have a good selection for any environment & temp. , I used to wear a set for bad weather & cold in the midwest
Yep I have a black attic lined and tan reg lined pair of Carhartt coveralls but I am looking for some heavy rain pants. The coveralls are great for cold but not good for a heavy rain on a 40 minute commute. All the frog tog and pcv stuff only last one season. Thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ockam
Just spend the dough and buy the Harley ones with the mesh liner or whatever it is now.

My wife and I rode back on our bikes from Ocean City last weekend through a cold rain. We wore chaps over our rain gear (cold rain). My gear was a 3rd party high end suit and my wife had the HD brand. We were both toasty and dry the entire ride back (200 miles)...until I got off my bike and notice my crotch was damp and cold under my gear. The after market suit let just enough moisture through the seams. My wife's HD suit had no issues...twice the money of mine, twice more effective.

Neither of us use a windshield (she has a sporty and I have a fat boy.
Ill look into it but it always seems HD stuff is lowest bidder and branded by HD or you can find out who really makes it and save 20%. Ill check it out.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,013 Likes on 17,912 Posts

They have a wet version heavy nylon I thought , I always went crazy with water repellent treatment on mine at least once month and worked pretty well .

Old 09-26-2011, 11:02 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Sweet. Right up my ally. If its Carhartt the guys at work wont call me a power ranger or a pirate.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
warrick
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a serious pair of rain pants, buy these.

http://www.backcountry.com/the-north...tain-pant-mens

I own a pair and they are bad-a$$, even have internal gaiters and a metal clip for your boots. They also have kevlar kickpathces on the inside of the ankle (normally for crampon wear while skiing), but would help with heat from pipes also.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out the Firstgear overpants. I use them for commuting and are top notch quality. They also come with a liner for colder temps.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:48 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Yep I have a black attic lined and tan reg lined pair of Carhartt coveralls but I am looking for some heavy rain pants. The coveralls are great for cold but not good for a heavy rain on a 40 minute commute. All the frog tog and pcv stuff only last one season. Thanks.
The best you can get are some military surplus gore-tex pants. They run $40-60 on Ebay - in the civilian market, the same thing in a non-military color would cost you an easy $200-400. The old desert and woodland camo ones are better than the newer stuff.

Quick Reply: advice on good heavyduty rain pants.