Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would the factory paint a fender ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 04:08 AM
ScReaMnEagLE22
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would the factory paint a fender ...

I'm considering getting a wide tire kit on my Screamin Eagle Fat Boy, but the custom paint on the rear fender is the only thing keeping me from doing it. I was wondering if anyone knows if the factory(Harley Davidson Paint Center) would custom paint my new rear fender like my stock one ? (same design)

If not, does anyone recomend a paint shop that will do custom work like this ? (i dont care to pay a little more than the norm for a custom job as long as it comes out the way I would want it)

TIA

Old 11-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: would the factory paint a fender ...

I don't know for sure if the factory would take an item back for painting or not.

If they did, all that I can think, is thats going to really cost a bunch of cash.

It would probably be less expensive to send it to Chip Foose for him to do then the factory!

Have you priced a brand new fender from dealer with custom paint option?

What is your location?

Old 11-23-2006, 09:10 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory will NOT paint custom fenders! Any good custom bike painter should be able to match it.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:51 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I want to put a Fatboy front fender on my Heritage, the dealer said that I could either send the factory a dent free fender or buy a new primed one and they would paint it to match my bike. It was around $300 for a new painted one or a bit less if I send them one. The charge for stripping it, but it wasn't outrageous. I don't know about matching a custom paint set.

How do they do it if you wreck the back end of your bike.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:18 AM
zeamic
Novice

Your chances of the factory matching the stock color are about the same as a local painter matching it. The paints can be varied in application / color with a number of ways. I've seen new parts from the fatory that did not match the origional paint on the bike.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:27 AM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I would use a local painter for this one. The hard part for Harley is they donot provide Paint Codes for their paint, so it makes matching a little more of a task, but possible.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I sent my peanut tank from my 1991 Sporster back to the factory in 1993 to have the original Fat Boy emblem and pin stripes put on and it, and it cost 300 to strip and repaint. Bike was black already so there was no paint matching problems. It looked awesome and the theme of my bike was "Thin Boy." Sold it to my brother and he still has the bike.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:54 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 24,638 Likes on 9,271 Posts

I recently went through the York plant and it would seem that the painting section is so automated that you wouldn't be able to insert your fender into the process without upsetting the entire production string. If you have a custom fender, your first problem would be how the fender is attached to the support device during painting. Other issues would be painting prep. Is the fender stripped of all paint and primer? The factory does the powder coating process too. Thats where they coat the entire finished paint job with a powder that looks kinda like powdered sugar and then they bake it so the powder melts and clear coats the entire fender for the chip proofing.

I would think your best bet would be to check with a local painter.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a custom paint shop.

I'm going to have my hard bags done. You can send you fender out to any custom paint shop - they just need another piece of the bike to match the paint up to.

The other thing with the wide tire kit is it's an aftermarket wide fender. Not sure HD will do that.

Which kit are you looking at? Phatrod?

Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 AM
jerry2005dyna
Novice

ORIGINAL: ScReaMnEagLE22

I'm considering getting a wide tire kit on my Screamin Eagle Fat Boy, but the custom paint on the rear fender is the only thing keeping me from doing it. I was wondering if anyone knows if the factory(Harley Davidson Paint Center) would custom paint my new rear fender like my stock one ? (same design)

If not, does anyone recomend a paint shop that will do custom work like this ? (i dont care to pay a little more than the norm for a custom job as long as it comes out the way I would want it)

TIA
hey my frieand ... I know it is most likely a long way from you but in London, Ontario, Canada, "Fine Touch" an Auto shop in London ..... there is a guy there that will make the fender look like it came right from the factory ... possibly a heck of a lot better ... I could get you more info if you wanted to contact and ship to him ... jerryf@beer.com

Quick Reply: would the factory paint a fender ...