General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cal DMV title error

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 02:40 AM
electra.glide65
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cal DMV title error

Apprecate any info with my problem - I bought a 1959 HD in 1978 in Arizona and was transfered (USMC)to california in 1982 - In 1982 I went to the Cal DMV to regester my Pan and was given a new title that showed my correct motor serial number and a raised frame ebossing number that was located on the back part of the frame - as a new VIN on the VIN section of the titile - I didnt catch this DMV error till years later - I'm bother by the fact that the Cal DMV offical made a mistake by listing that bogus frame part number as my VIN - So do I go back to DMV and tell them to remove the VIN? or do I just suck it up and continue to run with a title that shows a correct motor serial number and an incorrect VIN number(embossed frame number). my gut feeling is that its only a matter of time that a CHP officer pulls me over that knows/understand that 1959 Harley's only had engine serial numbers and possibly inpounds my bike - or do i go to DMV only for them to have me go to CHP and get blue sticker/new assigned VIN that will devalue my bike. if anyone out there could steer me the right way/would be apprcated. Note: When I registered my Bike in 82 I rember surrendering my Arizona title to Cal DMV that only listed the engine number - and am wondering if I could possibly still get that from Az or Cal DMV section.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:16 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Man the yank around you'll get going to the DMV is just this side of insane . They'll send directly to the nearest CHP inspection station and you get the play the game with all the numbers being looked at including the ones under the tranny case and if the guy is a ***** you'll have to drop the skidplate so he can see that the case halves match and they measure the neck areas for any changes . Have any and all paper work along too .

Went through the same drill when I moved from Kc Mo. was a titled and well ridden bike for 5 years and they yanked me around like it was a fresh swap meet parts special . Hit he DMV website and do a little looking or and this is a cheap trick If have a AAA membership hit their DMV counter instead of the states , saved from hoops a few times .

Good luck .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-26-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,867 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
If have a AAA membership hit their DMV counter instead of the states , saved from hoops a few times.
Oh hell yes! I had to register my FXR that had a Texas title/registration, and the AAA DMV chick did the VIN verification, and issued me a CA license plate and registration in about 10 min.

That same drill would have cost me at least a half a day at any regular DMV office. AAA rocks!

Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Best to get it corrected.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:15 PM
electra.glide65
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cal DMV title error, disabled Marine

I read all of the above and want to say thanks - I'm stressing about winding up with a NEW Vin title and subsaquintly devaluing my 59 Pan. Heres a break down of thins to do1) go to Az DMV and Cal DMV and ask for a certified copy of my original Az title that I gave the Cal DMV in 1982 (2) look around for a DMV service that specializes in Old Halreys to represent me with providing me a sanity check with my options before I go to the CHP or DMV officials (3) make laison with a knowledable AAA supervisor or cleark that might be willing to assist me with getting my title corrected to only show the engine serial number(4)dig up all of my past registartion documents for my Pan and build a binder with all supporting documents. (5) read all of the Cal DMV referances that speaks about VIN corrections etc.(6) remove the engine skid plate and document the bottom engine case numbers along with the tranny belly numbers. once all of this is done rethink the situation and determin if the RISK is worth proceeding. My gut feeling is to get this corrected - I've looked at my bikes neck area and there is no numbers like other HD's - I'll measure the thickness and compare with other stock 58-64 HD necks to be sure no modifications were done. I've owned my pan for 33 years (3yr's AZ and 30 yr's Ca) and feel that I need to get this resolved now knowing that my pink has an erroniuos VIN. I remember the DMV clerk kept telling me in 1982 that all bikes had VIN's and mine was no exceptions - he finally documented one of the frame embossed numbers and said ok this will work and I never thought for one bit that he was incorrect. I was 19 years old then. I had no clue that older harleys only had engine serial numbers. as per; Bruce Palmers Authentic Restoration Guilde, Harley Davidsion operation manales and even Cal DMV PTF files. If anyone has any other gouge for me or my pl;an of action - please fire away. PS I'm a disabled Marine from this last barn dance in IRAQ - and my days are numbered here on mother green - my motivation in getting this corrected is so that I may hand my old pan to my grandson with out any problems before I chop out. thanks again!

Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Martimus
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be quite surprised if AZ DMV still had access to the original title from back in the early 1980's. If they did it would likely be in microfiche somewhere and that would likely take some time for them to find.

Personally I'd suggest just going to AAA and letting them hash it out for you. And yes I think it would be prudent to show up with as much supporting documentation as you can find. Better to have too much information available to them then not enough...

The only concern I'd have is that you still might need someone to inspect the bike. I would doubt that they'd know that a 50 year old Harley doesn't have a VIN stamped on the frame. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,915 Likes on 4,971 Posts

I find it very hard to believe that the cali, DMV would make a mistake!! are you sure? I don't think this has ever happened before!! I asked them, once and they told me that they don't make mistakes, and I believe them!!!!

God have mercy on your soul!! You will need it!! I suggest that you tie a rope around your leg, and give the other end to some good friends. If you're not out in 4 days, have them start pulling out the skeletal remains!! A good friend wouldn't let innocent friends have to go inside!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 321 Posts

I'd try to correct it.

Or stop by a CHP/ Police office and ask them what they think....would they impound.

You'll probably need to visit the DMV for a talented DMV facilitator.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 AM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martimus
I would be quite surprised if AZ DMV still had access to the original title from back in the early 1980's. If they did it would likely be in microfiche somewhere and that would likely take some time for them to find.

Personally I'd suggest just going to AAA and letting them hash it out for you. And yes I think it would be prudent to show up with as much supporting documentation as you can find. Better to have too much information available to them then not enough...

The only concern I'd have is that you still might need someone to inspect the bike. I would doubt that they'd know that a 50 year old Harley doesn't have a VIN stamped on the frame. Good luck!
I had an old dune buggy that was registered and titled in arizona. i couldn't find the vin # anywhere. the guy here in beaverdam az pulled the old title from the arcives to verify it had been registered before in arizona.