Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have Fox Creek's Leather V 1.8 Jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Have Fox Creek's Leather V 1.8 Jacket?

ORIGINAL: T 3

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

Velcro for closure or cinching systems is really not the best choice to use in motorcycle jacket design. Also, that vertical seam on the back of the 1.8 is not the best idea, either. Seams can open up in a slide along the pavement. The middle of the back, a primary abrasion surface in many mc crashes, is about the worst place you could place a seam on a mc jacket.
Eyespy-

Interesting... I can certainly appreciate the old school closure/cinching systems,what's the downside to velcro for an MC Jacket ?
The main things I dislike about use of velcro on riding gear is, for one thing, it wears out. A good leather jacket should last years, decades. Velcro would have lost its grip by then. Secondly, it's not as a secure a closure in the event of an unplanned meeting with the asphalt, upon which it is more likely to pull open and compromise the coverage protection of the wearer. I prefer a more secure, mechanical closure, like buckles, and heavy/high quality zippers. Areas of high abrasion potential, like the back panel, in my opinion and experience, should be a single panel contruction.

Old 11-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 50 Posts

The main things I dislike about use of velcro on riding gear is, for one thing, it wears out. A good leather jacket should last years, decades. Velcro would have lost its grip by then. Secondly, it's not as a secure a closure in the event of an unplanned meeting with the asphalt, upon which it is more likely to pull open and compromise the coverage protection of the wearer. I prefer a more secure, mechanical closure, like buckles, and heavy/high quality zippers. Areas of high abrasion potential, like the back panel, in my opinion and experience, should be a single panel contruction.
Thankyou Eyespy...

I appreciate the detailed perspective- I wasn't aware that velcro could wear out-the side cinch points probably wouldn't receive much wear and tear,but the front waist closure certainly would.I have more research to do.

PS:What jacket(s) do you wear ?

Old 11-24-2006, 01:34 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't let that stop me. Velcro is very easily replaced and it holds alot better than snaps.
ORIGINAL: T 3

Thankyou Eyespy...

I appreciate the detailed perspective- I wasn't aware that velcro could wear out-the side cinch points probably wouldn't receive much wear and tear,but the front waist closure certainly would.I have more research to do.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:00 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet
I wouldn't let that stop me. Velcro is very easily replaced and it holds alot better than snaps.
Most likely not too much of a gamble as far as repair,probably something Fox Creek would rectify:

Lifetime Guarantee
Our lifetime guarantee covers the workmanship and materials on all of our American made chaps, jackets, vests and pants as long as you own them. This includes any problem with snaps, zippers, seams and grommets that arise due to normal use of the garment. If you have any problem please e-mail us or call 1-800-766-4165. We will arrange to have your garment repaired locally or sent back to us.