General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=txfxstrider;8861950][QUOTE=Talldog;

"Never heard a Harley that was too loud"

Really???, me thinks you need to take that bike out of the garage and actually ride it, ya might learn something.

Well, I did just return from a 12,000 mile round trip to Alaska and the Arctic Circle on my garage queen and I was not behind a fairing or listening to tunes (other than my loud pipes) or towing my garage. Get a life [/QUOTE]

I am envious ... Sounds like a great ride...was it?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:27 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=hdtwice;8862566]
Originally Posted by txfxstrider

I am envious ... Sounds like a great ride...was it?

The best 34 days I have spent in a long, long time. Very challenging roads and weather, lots of wildlife, beautiful scenery, a great trip. Canada is more expensive than I expected. Fuel, food and lodging is generally costlier than Alaska but the people are great and the RCMP were only friendly and helpful. Try it, you'll like it.

By the way, I made this trip with my son. He rides an '05 Softail Deluxe.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM
foxrod89
Advanced

Originally Posted by hardwork2
I thought you were talikng about my Bro Charlie. Til I saw you were in Illinois. Man his bike will give you a headache. They are so loud we have stopped inviting him everytime we go out. just cannot take them. I'm not wearing hearing protection because of his bike.
poor charlie, buys a harley and has to ride at the rear of the pack.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lunch Meat
I know this is cliche, but I'm gonna say it anyway....If its too loud.. you're too old!!
Damn,

You beat me to it. Crazy thing is, the loudest bike I have ever heard is some type of new Yamaha cruiser. Me and 2 other Harleys with pipes were riding, and you could hear his over ours. We all had pipes. He had a big grin on his mug when he passed us.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I firmly believe that I have enough personal anecdotal evidence throughout the years to convince me that loud pipes do save lives. However, I must agree with OP that there is such a thing as too loud. I love the rumble of a Harley, or a well-tuned muscle car. A junker car with no muffler that some joker is flooring is just obnoxious. Same with some motorcycle pipes, Harley or otherwise. Who likes the sound of an unmuffled 2 stroker winding out? Or an import with a grapefruit shooter muffler going WFO?
I sometimes like my music loud, but when that same music is over-driven and distorted, it ceases to be music and is just unwelcome noise.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm willing to bet none of you pussies approached the "annoying" rider and respectfully ask him to ride at the rear of the group. Man-up or put your street glide back on the trailer.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:42 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I liked my open straights on my old Sporty and have contemplated going to something louder on my RK.
Followed my Uncle on his softtail standard for a week last year and he had open straights and they didn't bother me in the least I enjoyed following it.

The rider makes pipes obnoxious.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
I firmly believe that I have enough personal anecdotal evidence throughout the years to convince me that loud pipes do save lives. However, I must agree with OP that there is such a thing as too loud. I love the rumble of a Harley, or a well-tuned muscle car. A junker car with no muffler that some joker is flooring is just obnoxious. Same with some motorcycle pipes, Harley or otherwise. Who likes the sound of an unmuffled 2 stroker winding out? Or an import with a grapefruit shooter muffler going WFO?
I sometimes like my music loud, but when that same music is over-driven and distorted, it ceases to be music and is just unwelcome noise.
ABSOLUTELY BEST POST HERE!!! Wholeheartedly agree, and ruefully await the new laws because of the obnoxious 'tards who just won't care - but they will when they have to change their whole exhaust or not ride any more.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

I notice a lot of guys with sportsters or dynas with any Samson pipes tend to rattle my eardrum a little bit.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyphoenix
I'm willing to bet none of you pussies approached the "annoying" rider and respectfully ask him to ride at the rear of the group. Man-up or put your street glide back on the trailer.
a *****? man up? dude, if you are that ****ing stupid that you can't tell your pipes are annoyingly loud, what difference do you think it would make for a "man" to ask you to ride at the back? most intelligent people would just shake their heads at you and keep on truckin. man enough...LOL

Quick Reply: Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.