General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:51 AM
Cormac22
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rode behind a guy (very briefly) who was running open megaphones. His bike was so damn loud that I couldn't even hear mine run, and my bike is minimally baffled. I got in front of him as quickly as I could and stayed in front, and he was still louder than hell. I like loud, but there are limits.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:55 AM
LDB415
Road Captain

There definitely is such a thing as too loud. There also definitely is a difference between good sounding and noise. "The" truck just delivered a set of quiet baffles for my V&H BSL pipes. They are THE best looking pipes on the market and once these baffles are in that knock about 3db off, just enough to take the edge off but leave the good sound, they will be best sounding too. OP, you get it as do some others and then some don't.

And yes, some are going to see to it that even my pipes with quiet baffles will be illegal some day just because they are too immature/selfish/insecure/stupid/whatever and have to far more than push the envelope.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

My Sampson Slashers on my 05 Springer were exactly what you described. They even got me a ticket and when the cop walked up on me I was idling in traffic. Just under 90db at an idle. With a few burps that hit 93db while idling.

I agree. They were too loud. And even I got sick of them.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Yep, "Harden the f*ck up!"
Yeah, I've laid that one on a few of 'em around here before...
That's all find and dandy, but that thinking just brings more laws down on our *** that everyone has to pay for. I sure as hell don't want to put stock mufflers on my bike because someone has a hard-on to run straight pipes through the neighborhood. "fvck 'em" is short sighted and self-centered and will make everyone suffer in the long run.

Last edited by Benway; 09-22-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:48 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Benway
That's all find and dandy, but that thinking just brings more laws down on our *** that everyone has to pay for. I sure as hell don't want to put stock mufflers on my bike because someone has a hard-on to run straight pipes through the neighborhood. "fvck 'em" is short sighted and self-centered and will make everyone suffer in the long run.

The nanny government is eventually going to outlaw anything that is excessive to them in any way.

Too loud, too fast, too dangerous, too much fun, etc...

I've always said, I'm of the age that I've seen tremendous progress in all walks of life, and also tremendous restrictions.

I grew up in the 50's & 60's with hot rods, drag strips, motorcycles, and everyone pulling their own weight. I tell my best friend all the time that I think we grew up in the last of the "good times".

I really believe that in my lifetime, government regulations will strangle us to the point that people will look back and be amazed that we were ever "allowed" to do something so "dangerous" as ride motorcycles.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy myself. I have never been pulled over or cited for my pipes, and as long as I ride like I've got some sense, don't run around cracking the throttle like an idiot, I don't expect to.

It's like everything else that government is trying to control, with enough co-operation from enough people, they WILL eventually get away with it, but I don't have to put my hands in my pockets, tail between my legs and get in line.

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 09-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Ya don't have to be an asshat either. No use RUSHING bad things.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 PM
fatbob123
Road Captain

My baffles fell out of my big radius and the sound man was LOUD

Pity I had to replace them

Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel the breeze as lemmings are RUSHING to get quietly into line.

No word yet as to whether legislation required their tiny hats to be stuck up their little tight asses.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:22 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
Yep, "Harden the f*ck up!"
Yeah, I've laid that one on a few of 'em around here before...
luv that funny mang

Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I have never heard a Harley that was too loud. And certainly never heard one that sounded obnoxious. The person riding it, yes. The bike, no. Are you sure it wasn't the noise from the radio playing on your "Tourer"?

I have heard several, both Sportys and Big Twins...bikes that have very little deep bass rumble sound and plenty of tinny rasp. It makes the engine sound (and often run) poorly.

Quick Reply: Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.