General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 PM
EasyRiderInIraq
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy has an 06' Soft tail with 103 inch motor with Vance and Hines Big Radius pipes. The bike sounds ****ing awesome from a distance or standing off to the side, but I hate riding behind him! Can't hear my radio for **** and I guess I'm too ****ing old cause they are obnoxious from behind! I ride a geezerglide and like my comfort.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,254 Likes on 829 Posts

A guy I work with has Sampson Groundpounders...he is only allowed to ride to my right.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:58 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Obnoxious drag pipes are like Confederate flags, Swastikas, SS badges, leather bandanas, and girls with a pouch wearing shorts with 2-3 teeth missing on the back of a beat down old shovel or EVO.

Just not my thing.

~Joe

Old 09-21-2012, 02:01 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

just ordered 2" Rush slipons and they should be here next week. Hope I made the right choice for the Heritage.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's the riders with the obnoxiously loud pipes that think they can do whatever they want without consequences. They're wrong, and eventually when we all get forced into compliance with local sound regulations they will be the first ones bitching about the heavy hand of government. They will never understand that they (the straight pipe idiots constantly over revving to draw attention to themselves) were the reason for all the regulations.

The smart ones will stock up on OEM exhausts when the demand to go quiet starts to skyrocket. When that time comes to be how much $ do you think the MoCo will list stock mufflers for LOL!?

cheers

Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM
BoozerHi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ob·nox·ious/əbˈnäkSHəs/
Adjective: Extremely unpleasant

I've had a lot of extremely unpleasant events in my life.
War & death are at top of that list, loud pipes just don't seem that important to me.
Thats why I live where I do.
IJDGAF

Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,846 Posts

One of the worst sounds (IMO) is a Sporty with drag pipes de-accelerating, though they sound great when going through the gears at medium acceleration.

On the way to the 95th Anniversary a friend from work (and his G.F.) wanted to ride along with us.

He had a Heritage with, what I believe were V&H Longshots with no baffles.
Riding behind us was OK, but I told him that if was going to ride in front that he would have to be at least 1/4 mile in front of me!

I only have one bike with straight pipes and I try to keep them quiet in town and around houses and it's never started or driven early in the morning or late at night.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:27 PM
CountryBoyBob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used fatboy with D&D 2 into 1 pipes. I have to use ear plugs or my ears ring after riding it. I dont think you would call it obnoxiously loud, but I wish it wasn't as loud as it is.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:23 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
just ordered 2" Rush slipons and they should be here next week. Hope I made the right choice for the Heritage.
You will like them! I had those on my Heritage!!! I have V&H on the Glide! Not as raw! But the Rush sounded better I think!!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

If (when) the SHTF, and we're buffeted with new noise laws and police enforcement, I'll just make the best of it and go 2 into 1 with a quieter muffler, and focus on more torque.

Quick Reply: Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.