General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i went around the block with only the headpipes a few days ago.. it might of been me making all the noise??

Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 PM
Bellefourchian
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetbaboo
Good stuff man!

Loud pipes threads are always volatile and highly charged emotionally. Unfortunately, what always seems to happen with threads like this is that we lose focus on what is truly important; such as, whether or not he was wearing a helmet, and, most importantly, what kind of oil he was running.
That's exactly right. As I read through these threads, I just keep wondering if the guy with the loud pipes mounts his bike from the left side or the right--

Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I have the Straight Shot slip ons with the quiet baffle and think it's plenty loud and sounds great myself. I just wish I could get the idle down a little bit on the EFI. Oh well. I've heard crotch rockets that were screaming loud and shrill. Those I dislike. There's a guy with a Harley I can hear three blocks away at least. It doesn't bother me. There's another guy a few doors down with the stock exhaust. I can barely hear him until he passes by and I'm outside. But rarely does anyone here do that in the middle of the night. If that were the case then I'd probably be pissed.

I don't rev my bike. Why should I? Not sure why anyone does. Just to **** people off I'm sure. Thinking they're badass. Even straight pipes can be ok if ridden right. If your pipes sound obnoxious, you probably want them to.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:26 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I dunno man; I take it seriously when some asshat is blasting the voters ears with WOT and straight pipes. Period. I LOVE my pipes as they are, medial but controllable, and I for one do NOT wish to be required to run stock pipes or be monitored at check points with DB meters and getting tickets BECAUSE OF ASSHATS who only care about themselves.

There is a huge difference between quality sound and obnoxiousness. I can take a rock concert set up right, but danged if I or many others wanna listen to some dweeb with cheap speakers and a big amp entertain himself.
I'm the OP and I said awhile ago that I wasn't going to comment on this thread anymore, but Quadancer has nailed it.

If we don't control ourselves, the sound that we love will get controlled for us.

I think we can all agree that we don't want that.

Go ahead and make your bike your own, if you want a louder than stock sound like most of us do, go for it, just don't run straight pipes that are so loud they really brings attention to us and generate complaints. Not to mention that running straight pipes with no back-pressure hurts performance.

If things finally get to the point that police start checking all of us with DB meters and issuing tickets, you guys with straight pipes will have no one to blame but yourselves. And unfortunately the rest of us get dragged down with you.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 AM
neverbonestock
Novice

While I love loud pipes, I have to agree with the above.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

I also love loud pies on a Harley! But like the above statement if its too loud the government and police will control it for us and then our bikes will sound like Hondas!! With my new 2012 i bought last year im going with the rush 2.0" slip ons! Plenty loud with out being obnoxious! I like moderatley loud with a good rumble kinda like deep thunder not ear piercing but loud enough!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Benway
Speaking of which, anyone seen these inserts in their V&Hs? Not much there, really. I guess this is their stock baffle. I've ordered some quite baffles to try for that everyday work commute..

Yep, not much there, but don't expect the Quiet Baffles from V&H to actually quiet them down very much.

Originally Posted by Talldog
Not to mention that running straight pipes with no back-pressure hurts performance.
Yep, I ordered V&H fishies for my Springer and there isn't much for a baffle in them out of the box. So, I ordered the Quiet Baffles for them. The QBs didn't really quiet them down, maybe a couple of decibels, but they did give the fishies a nice tone, reduced the popping off on decel, and increased backpressure/performance; definitly a difference in giddy-up.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Harlie Rider
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Last weekend the wife and I were at Myrtle Beach cruising down the boulevard.
Stopped at one of the many red lights when this doofus on a Valkyrie pulls up
beside us. Not a sign of a slip-on, muffler or integrated silencer to be seen.
Straight pipes all the way. He wanted me to know he was beside of us, kept
revving it up. Sounded like crap!!!!!
When he pulls out, he let everyone hear it. I just laughed and thought to myself,
he must be proud of the noise and attention he gets. What a joke!!!

Attached Thumbnails Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.-100_1099.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Precision223
Advanced

Originally Posted by Talldog
First off, I love a good deep Harley Rumble that is louder than stock.

Last bike was a Heritage and I had Rush Slip-Ons with 2" baffles, sounded great IMO.

Current bike is a Tourer with V & H Power Duals and Rinehart 4" Slip-Ons.

So, I have nothing against loud exhausts.

EXCEPT,

Was on a group ride today, one of the guys was running straight pipes. These things were so loud, they were just obnoxious. Everyone was trying to stay as far away as possible from this guy, without screwing up the formation too bad.

If this thread is about you, change your frikken pipes, the only one that thinks they sound good is YOU!

Ok, I'm done.

GFY. Look it up you old fart. Your avatar is fitting. Worry about yourself.

Support your local red and white
Dago California!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Harlie Rider
Last weekend the wife and I were at Myrtle Beach cruising down the boulevard.
Stopped at one of the many red lights when this doofus on a Valkyrie pulls up
beside us. Not a sign of a slip-on, muffler or integrated silencer to be seen.
Straight pipes all the way. He wanted me to know he was beside of us, kept
revving it up. Sounded like crap!!!!!
When he pulls out, he let everyone hear it. I just laughed and thought to myself,
he must be proud of the noise and attention he gets. What a joke!!!
If he was in Myrtle Beach, he probably didn't get very far before the po-po pulled him. From all I read, that whole town hates bikers. A legal-riding buddy got hassled there for absolutely nothing; they were just looking to get rid of bikes. We won't be back; they can miss OUR money!
Unfortunately, in a way, they win.

Quick Reply: Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.