General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

That's some quick thinkin' right there...

Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell, I usually bring up the rear anyway. That way when tools wreck they don't take me and the OL out.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 289 Likes on 155 Posts

When I bought my bagger, it came with straight pipes and no baffles.
I thought it was kind of cool until I took my first long ride on it.
I bought a new set of pipes for it. I thought it sounded great until my crossover pipe blew out.
I put on true duals and it's so much better hearing both pipes.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 AM
djjluv
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this thread!
I love Hooters!
I love Loud Pipes!

Old 02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
So, I have nothing against loud exhausts.

EXCEPT,

Was on a group ride today, one of the guys was running straight pipes. These things were so loud, they were just obnoxious. Everyone was trying to stay as far away as possible from this guy, without screwing up the formation too bad.

If this thread is about you, change your frikken pipes, the only one that thinks they sound good is YOU!

Ok, I'm done.
Don't worry the nanny state sound police will do that for everyone soon just because of douchebags who run those unbelievably loud pipes...they are almost ready to pass those laws in NH as we speak.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM
adamsthephoneguy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by illwell
I know your secret biker bar with blue beards is hard core...lol.

I do not like Hooters that much myself, but I am on the road for work and the crew I work with wanted to watch the fights. I knew someone would reply with I do not care what others think...or some varient of that response.

I am asking an honest question. If you like loud pipes....who do you want to impress with your loud pipes? If not random people you pass on the street, like a crowd at Hooters, who are you out to get cool points from.

If the answer is nobody.... why have extra loud custom pipes... performance?
i like my bike for me and no one else. i don't care what you think and i especially don't care what the creepy pedafile jocks that hang at hooters think either.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I too also have the Rush 2'' and have had them for 5yrs. Thought several times about some 2-1, but every time I hear the 2-1's I just shake my head, cause I just wont give up the Rush deep sound while knowing I am loosing some TQ in the lower 1/2

Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM
beaumontbagger
Cruiser

what are the most quiet mufflers (touring) available? Stock?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
Who likes the sound of an unmuffled 2 stroker winding out?

Actually, since my first bike was a Kawasaki H1 (500 cc two stroke triple) with Denco expansion chambers, I love that sound, Liked all the two stroke dirt bikes I rode too... nothing like that wail, except my Shovelhead with open fishtails.... Hemispherical combustion chambers just sound good unmuffled..

My FatBob has stock mufflers, no baffles, just end caps. It also has the cat still in. Has a pretty nice sound........

Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM
tiretronix
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamsthephoneguy
i like my bike for me and no one else. i don't care what you think and i especially don't care what the creepy pedafile jocks that hang at hooters think either.
I don't hang out at Hooter's even though I do go occasionally and have some wings along with checking out the women, but attitudes like yours will have us all riding our Harleys and sounding like a GoldWing. As it is now, the law is very tolerant about being loud and we can enjoy the rumble. Ask any tuner here if having open pipes helps the power and they will tell you NO, so what is the purpose other than getting attention ? I think the OP was right about some of you needing a hug because that is what kids do. I will ignore your other comment and just consider the source but if you have any ***** you can call em' names to their face. I love drag racing and there is no better sound than a well tuned engine with open headers, but a two cylinder Harley low performance ?

If you think about it, all it will take is for one of you to **** off a politician having a bad day and he will pen a bill to end it. Hope you like the way your new pipes sound, but hey, you can still hear the motor slapping and clanging.

Quick Reply: Pipes that are so loud, they're obnoxious.