General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:43 PM
blair
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil cooler install

Has any one used a oil filter sandwich plate ( a adapter plate that goes between the oil filter and the base plate)to hook up an oil cooler ? If so is it a good way to hook up a oil cooler ?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

You mean like a jagg 4700 offset oil cooler adaptor?

I looked up what you referenced. Those seem to be for automotive applications. Look up the jagg one I mentioned. It comes all together. Fairly easy to install. Just pay attention. Very important piece.

Last edited by Gliden; 09-24-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:27 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

4700 Offset Oil Filter Adapter with Automatic Thermostat The offset on this adapter is required for the TC88 and TC96 engines.

Make sure you get the AR-A or the AR-B Anti-rotation Device for Offset Oil Filter Adapters

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

That's the adapter I used for my cooler and it seems to work real well. I preffer the thermostat. I also bought the anti-rotation 'wedge' but ended up not using it.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM
blair
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be using it on an Evo motor

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Youll curse yourself out the first time that filter sticks on there as if it were welded on. The whole adaptor spins and the nightmare begins......lol

Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Really cuz I had to take the filter on and off quit a few times cuz the unit with the AN fittings kept weeping and as tight as I had the adapter torqued that ***** was on there. I didn't like the bolts that came with the AR kit. The damn things don't have a real good head on them and I was having problems getting em tight enough compared to the original bolts. I even tried getting a different bolt at ACE and their a weird length so I said Frackit. If I end up eating my words I will put put it back on.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the Jagg adapter with the thermostat and regular hose connectors along with the anti-rotation device and had no issues installing it. So far their have been no leaks.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have installed three of them on my bikes. Simple and no problems. The first on is on a 07 FXSTC then 10 Ultra and the last was on a 10 Dyna Super Glide.

The instructions that HD includes with the kit is clear and easy to follow.

The filter adapter that holds the unit with the thermostat must be torqued to specs.

Many forget to take the film off that covers the adhesive to stick the gasket in place prior to torquing the unit down. That may cause leaks. Not torquing will cause leaks. Not rotating the unit to the proper position will cause leaks.

Just follow the instructions any all will work out.

He is a pic of the 10 Ultra coming down on the hoist after installing. I did post on the touring section some time back with pictures of the install. This is the only pic I saved.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Really cuz I had to take the filter on and off quit a few times cuz the unit with the AN fittings kept weeping and as tight as I had the adapter torqued that ***** was on there. I didn't like the bolts that came with the AR kit. The damn things don't have a real good head on them and I was having problems getting em tight enough compared to the original bolts. I even tried getting a different bolt at ACE and their a weird length so I said Frackit. If I end up eating my words I will put put it back on.
I put one on my 2006 Low Rider. The bolts they send are the wrong length. I got some grade 8 allen's and cut them to length.

Believe me if that filter sticks you will be cussing yourself.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler install