General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis.....who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:47 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Sturgis.....who's going?

I wish I was going but not this year. We are shooting for next year. During the 2 1/2 hour ride this past weekend i determined there have to be some mods done to my bike before I ride 16 hours. Most importantly a new seat and highway bars.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Anniesage
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heather: didnt you just get new bars - didn't they work? Cuz if they didn't then I won't be installing mine.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:42 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Heatherc

I wish I was going but not this year. We are shooting for next year. During the 2 1/2 hour ride this past weekend i determined there have to be some mods done to my bike before I ride 16 hours. Most importantly a new seat and highway bars.

You might also give some consideration to a detachable windshield. It will give you that little bit of extra comfort that can make a long ride a pleasure instead of a chore.

Steve

Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Anniesage

Heather: didnt you just get new bars - didn't they work? Cuz if they didn't then I won't be installing mine.

The bars were great. I would like about another inch and they will be perfect. I am going to get a seat the puts me an inch forward. I will take pics of the bars and post those too. Annie, install the bars. They are very worth it. I didn't have any neck or shoulder pain at all!

Old 07-18-2005, 10:04 PM
travisd
Cruiser

My wife and I are going, also. Just got the bike a couple of months ago, probably could use some more riding time, but can't help but go for the experience. I've put on 3000 miles this summer and have a few nuisance pains after the long runs, but nothin' I can't deal with. We're takin' off from north of Grand Forks, ND on Friday the 5th with another couple. Gonna stay overnight in Wall, SD and hit Sturgis on Saturday morning. We put on 400 miles yesterday in Minnesota just as a warm up. Hope to have fun and stay out of everyone's way, never been there before and don't want to be a pain in anyone's backside.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

Thanks for the feedback Heather - going to call tomorrow and make an appointment - I have looked and looked and looked from every possible way of doing it myself - but just do not feel comfortable tearing apart an important part of my scoot and then not getting back correctly, or even, back together at all...try explaining that one to the HOG roadside assistance - "Yea, I need a tow to my dealer please" "and the problem" "Well, you see, I was trying to install my own pullback bars and I got everything off like I was suppose to but nothing is going back together again like it should and I have this extra cable that I don't know where it goes ....." I think you get the picture.... But I did have every intention and got all the information together.......just punked out.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:27 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Heather,

Steve's idea is a good one. A quick detach windshield will let you look cool around town, but will give you much needed protection and stress relief on the long rides. The wind pushing against you all the time keeps you pushed back and out of riding position.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-18-2005, 11:32 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

I'm convinced. I'll add a windshield to my list of demands!

Old 07-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Markcuda
Banned

I may end up going after all[8D]
I just joined the ranks of the unemployed again today[sm=bangbang.gif]
I may go out for a day or two, hook up with some peeps(any takers) and then come home

Old 07-18-2005, 11:44 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

Mark, that sucks! I'm sorry to hear that! I'd hook up with you in Sturgis but we are taking the kids to Florida for a family vacation. We can always pray for a hurrican!

Quick Reply: Sturgis.....who's going?