General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parents of teen drivers, pass the word!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree if even 1% gets through, they are better off than you saying nothing, trust me proactive parenting is a million times better than the "they dont care so I dont care" approach.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Exemexer, keep lecturing. The kids are listening. Sure their brains are fogged with hormones, that is why you have to drill it in to them. My kids are 25,27,29 and they say they hear my voice in their head when I'm not around. That means I did my job.

I am glad my kids made it through those teen years, and college, with no major catastrophes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. In some ways, it doesn't matter what you say. Just being there for your kids, helps them do the right thing cause they know someone cares about them. Good luck.

Negative dudes:

Old 09-24-2011, 10:33 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
+1, same thing I was wondering. Believe it or not, some kids are responsible, and if you spend time and talk, they listen, you at least have to try.
This is it exactly. Just because it may not work, does not mean you should not try. You are the parent. If you do not try to make them better people, who will?

Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
az_steve
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have kids but have much respect for those that do and try their best to keep them safe. If I did have kids, I would probably be like this. Check your volume, NSFW.

http://youtu.be/kRiT3ISEN3M

Old 09-24-2011, 11:17 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,175 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Yup...but I stress everything to be careful of, people/pedestrians, other cars, trucks, animals...esp deer. It's all important, not just other motorcycles.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:56 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Superfly & Dickey do you have kids?
Nope. Never wanted 'em, and not a day goes by that I am not thankful,by some miracle, that I never had any,accidental or intended!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwback
exemexer, great job talking to your kids about being responsible. More parents need to do the same.

Dickey, The man is trying to raise his kids. Just because you ignored your parents advice does not mean he is wasting his breath.
Nothin' wrong with what he's doin' I just don't think anyone should really expect too much from kids nowadays. There are many reasons I never wanted kids, among them the absolute frustration of knowing what you tell 'em goes in one ear & right out the other. I am a zero patience & tolerance person, so it would not be fair to any kid to have me as a father.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Broncs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol! It was in the 80's but all I heard was blah blah blah! While thinking about the best place to go parking, wether or not the guy in the black T/A would show up so I could finally teach him that it wasn't that fast and where would I get the beer from!

Old 09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Broncs
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Nope. Never wanted 'em, and not a day goes by that I am not thankful,by some miracle, that I never had any,accidental or intended!
+1 on that ! Occasionally I feel like I'm missing out by not having a son to teach how to play hockey etc. Then I go to a friends house (he has 2) and in 5 min. I'm cured!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Broncs
+1 on that ! Occasionally I feel like I'm missing out by not having a son to teach how to play hockey etc. Then I go to a friends house (he has 2) and in 5 min. I'm cured!
Originally Posted by dickey
Nothin' wrong with what he's doin' I just don't think anyone should really expect too much from kids nowadays. There are many reasons I never wanted kids, among them the absolute frustration of knowing what you tell 'em goes in one ear & right out the other. I am a zero patience & tolerance person, so it would not be fair to any kid to have me as a father.

Some guys might be better off not being a Dad. For me it feels pretty good to take these two knuckleheads and turn them into men.

Paramedic and a veteran. Groom and Best Man.

Quick Reply: Parents of teen drivers, pass the word!