General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it time to trade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011 | 09:29 PM
bksmoky
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BradDG
... Whenever the wife is in a good mood and you think you can sneak it past her! ;-)

My wife liked your response! lol

Old 09-24-2011 | 12:12 AM
warrconn
Road Master

Originally Posted by bksmoky
Just curious.

How do you decide when it's time to trade?

Do you run it until it dies? Or trade every couple of years?
?? This is a real question? Do you go online and ask the same question about your car/truck? I'll bet not.

Old 09-24-2011 | 07:06 AM
passae
Tourer

Personal decision.....I get a new bike when I find one that has new features and functions that improve safety and ride ability. I get a new one when I find one that I just have to have.

I won't comment on the wife thing.

Old 09-24-2011 | 08:15 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't trade if I don't have to

Old 09-24-2011 | 08:20 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

For me, the time to trade was about ten years ago, when the dealer actually made me an offer for my then eight year old Softail. Instead, I opted to repair it for half the cost of trading up to a Road King. I've come to realize that, for me, the bike I have now is "the one", and likely to be the last bike I will own. At least, in the last 18 years, I haven't seen another bike I want badly enough to part with this one to have it.

Old 09-24-2011 | 08:57 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Trade In?

Here I am 2 years later just finally getting my bike the way I like it. I converted the tail lights to running/brake lights a while back. I still have to install the tourpak LED lighting kit I bought. I'll probably do that this winter while the bike is laid up for weather. Right now if I have the time I'm riding it. My progress from stock to where it is now has taken a ligimate 2 years. Handle bars / seat (went thru 2 seat changes) to get the bike to "fit" me. Adjustable backrest for me - tourpak with wrap aound backrest for the wife. All the doodads - alarm system w/pager, windshield bag, mufflers, tuner have taken time to do and I'd like to think I'll be riding this bike for a while to come.
I made the mistake of trading in my Sporty (damn I miss that ride) and I don't think I'll be so fast to trade in again. If I stumbled into a sh**load of money I'd be tempted to do a custom paint job but I truely like this ride and wouldn't get rid of it so fast. It has given me everything I had hoped for and then a bit more.

Old 09-24-2011 | 09:24 AM
bksmoky
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by warrconn
?? This is a real question? Do you go online and ask the same question about your car/truck? I'll bet not.

I don't like my car and truck as much as my bike! LOL

Old 09-24-2011 | 10:07 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

For me, it's been every 1-2 years then I usually trade up but so far my RKC still does it for me so I plan on keeping it a while longer.

Old 09-24-2011 | 10:13 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member

I keep them till I want a new one. On average, I keep them at least 10-12 years. My oldest at the moment is a 1994 and my newest is a 2000. I'm not even seriously thinking of replacing either of them. I got a new in Harley in 1971, 84, 94, and 2000. That's it except for my first which was not new when I got it. Since I got my first Harley, I haven't been without one, and it's been a long time since I only had 1. Other makes, I haven't kept all that long. I had a Triumph I kept for 4 years and a BSA I had about as long. I hate to admit it, but I also once had a 305 Honda Scrambler I had for a couple of years. I love my bikes and it's hard for me to think about getting rid of one of them. Over time, I kind of develope a relationship with them that makes it difficult to part with them. I'm comfortable with my bikes and I know every ding, repair, and modification that has happened to them, and I've traveled every mile that they have. Trading a bike is like getting rid of a friend, so I don't do it often. A new model, or a new tech advancement is what usually sways me. I guess when my current ride is far enough behing the curve and I'm ready for a more advanced bike than I have, I trade. It doesn't happen often. Currently, I'm looking at ABS, Brembo, and a new frame as being what I want and don't have, but it isn't enough "want" for me to trade.

Old 09-24-2011 | 10:16 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Only time I get rid of a bike is after it has tried to kill me or gone down otherwise like my sig bike I've had 30 years now they aren't going anywhere .

Quick Reply: When is it time to trade?