General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KEEPING My Harley and HAPPY ABOUT IT

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hooray for you. But not everybody's circumstances are the same.

As they say, "Your mileage may vary".

Old 09-23-2011, 10:43 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

LOL! I love the open forums!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,649 Likes on 2,536 Posts

I agree with you,hoe,and here's why:

If you sell your bike to feed,clothe,and shelter your family, I'm all for it.

If you sell your bike so the kids can have the latest smart phones,video games,and sneakers;well that's where I have a problem. I also have a problem with selling your bike to get out of debt, and here's why:

When you owe money, you still have your "stuff" and the people you owe have to wait to be paid,while you work & enjoy your "stuff".
If you sell your "stuff" to pay off your debts, then strangers you couldn't give a crap about have your money, while you have to work & wait a long time,IF EVER, to get more "stuff".

I like the first one better.

As I've said before-Kids take way more than they ever give back. I think peoples lives today revolve too much around their kids. I am disgusted when I see parents bending over backwards & giving up everything for the kids, knowing full well that the majority of these kids are never EVER gonna do for their parents in their advancing age the way the parents bled for them. AND--don't tell me I'm wrong, because I see it happening all the time with just about every single one of my friends. And I have a large cross section of friends, from doctors to dentists to cops to musicians, to unemployed bums. And I'm talking different parts of the country too. Kids today are all about ME! ME! ME!, and hardly lift a finger to help their parents. So, as long as your kid has food,clothing,shelter,medical care, and schooling--keep that bike! And if he wants a new smart phone, let him get it the old fashioned way--let 'em work for it! THERE'S a novel idea!!

And don't sell what you love so other people you couldn't give 2 craps about can have their money sooner. 'Cause chances are, you'll never get another one.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow! Tough crowd today!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Dickey, appears you and I are in the minority. I never said I didnt love my kids and/or wives. Was trying to say that I feel I was/am entitled to SOME piece of the pie too!
Way to many people today are trying to live above their means on credit and the result is always the same....disaster. I have been fortunate no doubt about it. But, I too have lost jobs, lost marriages, etc. I dont feel I am a victim of anything. My kids are all adults now and so consumed with their own lives they have little or no interest in mine. And, that is ok with me. I know what they are dealing with as I have the luxury of hindsight. Been there, done that. My only regret is that I may have made it to easy for them and they lack true grit. Never said my ride was more important to me than food on the table or roof over everyone's head. For the OP to come on the forum and state he was happy to be selling his Harley and later reveal its to get his *** out of debt was deceptive in the title and portrays a magnanimous sacrifice on his part. Sorry, just dont have any sympathy. Frankly speaking I am getting tired of carrying the burden of other peoples bad decisions thru higher taxes, higher costs of credit, and an increasingly welfare state. Gotta have a thick skin to hang out on this forum and I know I am gonna catch crap for my statements. Can deal with it.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Call me a selfish bastard if you want to but at the end of the day my decisions and choices I make are mine to live with. Boo-hoo!
Remarkable input to the forum!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

Diversity in action! ... Swim? ... Float? ... Drown? ... Just add water

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM
ElectraDave
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dickey
I agree with you,hoe,and here's why:

If you sell your bike to feed,clothe,and shelter your family, I'm all for it.

If you sell your bike so the kids can have the latest smart phones,video games,and sneakers;well that's where I have a problem. I also have a problem with selling your bike to get out of debt, and here's why:

When you owe money, you still have your "stuff" and the people you owe have to wait to be paid,while you work & enjoy your "stuff".
If you sell your "stuff" to pay off your debts, then strangers you couldn't give a crap about have your money, while you have to work & wait a long time,IF EVER, to get more "stuff".

I like the first one better.

As I've said before-Kids take way more than they ever give back. I think peoples lives today revolve too much around their kids. I am disgusted when I see parents bending over backwards & giving up everything for the kids, knowing full well that the majority of these kids are never EVER gonna do for their parents in their advancing age the way the parents bled for them. AND--don't tell me I'm wrong, because I see it happening all the time with just about every single one of my friends. And I have a large cross section of friends, from doctors to dentists to cops to musicians, to unemployed bums. And I'm talking different parts of the country too. Kids today are all about ME! ME! ME!, and hardly lift a finger to help their parents. So, as long as your kid has food,clothing,shelter,medical care, and schooling--keep that bike! And if he wants a new smart phone, let him get it the old fashioned way--let 'em work for it! THERE'S a novel idea!!

And don't sell what you love so other people you couldn't give 2 craps about can have their money sooner. 'Cause chances are, you'll never get another one.
This man speaks the truth!! Atta boy, dickey!!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with HOE here too.

As a man that house ain't yours, that car ain't yours, the kids will always go with and side with Mommy. As a man you are basically alone in the world, which is fine with me I accept that, some men don't realize that and get blindsided when they come home and another fella is parked in your spot and when the cops come you're the one leaving your house. Women through tens of thousands of years picked mates based on which ones could safely provide, and if another could provide even better it behooves the woman to go so her kids are taken care of better. 40 years of working and bra burning doesn't change tens of thousands of years of societal evolution. Women aren't loyal (sorry they just aren't) and really are merciless when it comes to getting your money in a divorce, even if she was banging the entire bar softball team she will not be happy until you are left with nothing or kill yourself, and I'm not exaggerating at all, I've seen it with one brother and several friends. Luckily my wife seems to be one of the good ones but I'm not naive enough to think that can't change at any second, and I'll be damned if I work myself to the bone to be left with nothing and lose out on a decades worth of riding. My bike is paid for and I'll sell it to my brother at any hint of a problem.

Also if you read the other topic it's clear it's just another case of someone who bought a big shiny toy and "then the kids came and I don't have time to ride it" and is selling it, nothing really new under the sun simply shrouded in getting out of debt.

If someone really wants to ride they can do it on a cheap bike and even save money. For a guy like the other dude it was never about riding, it was about impressing people and the look. I said three times, why not sell this bike and get a cheap EVO sporty, they're going for like $2500 right now, no real response to that other than "they wife stopped riding and then to kids came so I'm not riding anymore" which is the real reason why the bike is up for sale.

Last edited by babalu; 09-23-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

double post again, only hitting it once but it keeps double posting, not sure why.

Quick Reply: KEEPING My Harley and HAPPY ABOUT IT