General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlemen Saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:50 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Saddlemen Saddlebags

In May I purchased a pair of Saddlemen Cruisn' Shock-Cutaway saddlebags for $170 (retail $215). I do not recommend them and will not buy another thing from Saddlemen's.

The first time I used the carrying handles to carry the bags into a motel room a rivet popped. So I guess the handles are for decoration only. In August I was on a ride and both of the twist lock buttons on one of the bags broke off. If there was no velcro on the lid it would be trash.

I cannot understand why any company would build & sell something so cheaply made.

Steve

Old 09-22-2011, 06:08 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've looked at a lot of Saddlemen stuff and it always looks like cheap crap to me - I wouldn't buy any either, even at a reasonable price, but they are way overpriced for the quality.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:44 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
I cannot understand why any company would build & sell something so cheaply made.

Steve
It's all about the DO REY ME

Old 09-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Stixman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 'em on my bike. Popped a handle rivet as well after one year.
Replaced it with a screw in rivet. Problem solved. Never had any other issues with 'em.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I've looked at the saddleman stuff they have over at iron pony. doesn't look up to par with the willie and max bags and such.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:36 AM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the Saddleman "deluxe" roll bag. It seems well made.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:20 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My husband tried establishing a business making saddlebags. Problem was, people didn't want to pay the price he had to charge for good quaility, hand made (totally hand stitched, etc), for leather bags. He couldn't compete with "pleather" bags from the likes of Willie Max, Saddlemen, etc. OR .. the ones that sell supposedly leather bags, that yes, are technically leather, but are the "pressboard" of leather - ground up, and reconstituted. Some of these look O.K for a while, but just do not hold up like good quality leather bags. But they are affordable to more people.

Hubby actually bought a set of Saddlemen bags at the beginning of riding season this year. They look really nice, (although starting to sag a bit). At the time he was able to buy them for about what he would have to pay for quality leather to make his own bags, and figured he didn't have the time right then to make his own and his workshop needed too much straightening out to work in properly. They will do until he can make his own again.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:13 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I have some of their saddlebags - they were cheap, I don't like the look of them, but they are highly functional and have kept my gear dry and secure.

I did recently purchased their Deluxe Tail Bag and really like it. See my thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-tail-bag.html

Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191
In May I purchased a pair of Saddlemen Cruisn' Shock-Cutaway saddlebags for $170 (retail $215). I do not recommend them and will not buy another thing from Saddlemen's.

The first time I used the carrying handles to carry the bags into a motel room a rivet popped. So I guess the handles are for decoration only. In August I was on a ride and both of the twist lock buttons on one of the bags broke off. If there was no velcro on the lid it would be trash.

Steve
Sorry to hear about that Steve. Yeah I've never been impressed with the quality of Saddlemen. I'd try and send em back and if they give you S@#t about it tell em there's 500 Forum members ready to boycott the bastards if they don't make it right. Let's see them survive this economy by being blackballed...If you wanted crap for quality we'd be riding rice.....F#$%^er's