General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:53 PM
underdog2003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)

Long story short (hopefully), I am selling my 2009 FXDB, and any other toy that I don't need, so I can start hammering out my debt. I have always carried debt since college and am now sick of living paycheck to paycheck and not having anything in savings.

I now have two little girls and a wife to support and it's not fair to them to be in this situation while daddy rides around on his harley he doesn't need, and he buys things that neither he nor the family needs. It's time for me to man up and take care of business so my babies can grow up and have two loving parents who aren't worried about how they are going to pay for their kids needs.

I woke up after reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book and decided enough is enough. I refuse to be in debt. I am going to follow that plan to a T to pay off all debt, including my house one day.

I love my Street Bob and it is bringing a tear to my eye knowing I am going to sell it, but I will buy another Harley one day, and it will be with cash. No financing, no borrowing...nothing. I will pay for that bike and ride away with biggest smile on my face.

Wish me luck fellas...

Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 PM
FLORIDABAGGER
Banned

I just look at my SG as a 3rd kid.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Good luck to you. It is hard. I am still trying, unsuccessfully, to get there myself.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:04 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Smart move! I only pay cash for my toys. Debt sucks!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

I was in similar situation 11 years ago. Sold the Fat Boy. Got my **** together. Was without bike for 8 years. This time I paid cash. You have your priorities in the right order. Git 'er dun.....

Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love Dave Ramsey's ideas...but I also think that there is a line of going too far when you stop living just to live, if that makes sense.

I want to be debt free and will get there one day. I am being smarter because of Dave but I refuse to get rid of everything in the meantime. I could get hit by a bus next week.

I try to make it "balanced".

Good luck to you. I sincerely wish you well in your financial life. I hope to hear you on his show one day screaming that you are debt free.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congradulations on your decision. Smart move. Stick to your guns, one day, you will reap big rewards. Believe me, cause I raised six kids....and payed off that morgage, before buying my Dyna. It's all the sweeter when you get there.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:16 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good for you OP, this will be a sacrifice, but in the end you will greatly improve your life.

I don't life debt free, but I do live a very low debt lifestyle.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:19 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 244 Likes on 108 Posts

Two heart attacks, 7 stents, emergency quad by pass. I WILL have my toys, one never knows when the man above will close your book. Dont get in over your head, but there is more to life than working and paying bills.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
Two heart attacks, 7 stents, emergency quad by pass. I WILL have my toys, one never knows when the man above will close your book. Dont get in over your head, but there is more to life than working and paying bills.
I agree.....but I don't have any health issues. However, only the OP can decide what is important for him and his family. Best of luck to him, but I am of like minds with you.

Quick Reply: Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)