General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 AM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I am with the Dave Ramsey supporters. I don't follow everything as well as I should but we are in much better shape now than we were 4 years ago. The biggest thing about the course was that it made my wife and I actually discuss our finances. Before all we did was argue about them.
The best way we found to save money was by having a budget and getting the cashwe needed for the week (groceries, gas, lunches) and NOT using the debit card. We declared a debit card free month and we were both amazed at how much more money we had. The debit card made money vanish. It is harder to buy a coffee or a magazine or whatever if you have to pay cash.
To the OP - keep true to your decision. I wish I had done that when I was in my 30s instead of my 50s.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 AM
razzoo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by underdog2003

I woke up after reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book and decided enough is enough. I refuse to be in debt. I am going to follow that plan to a T to pay off all debt, including my house one day.

I love my Street Bob and it is bringing a tear to my eye knowing I am going to sell it, but I will buy another Harley one day, and it will be with cash. No financing, no borrowing...nothing. I will pay for that bike and ride away with biggest smile on my face.

Wish me luck fellas...
Do what has to be done. I went without a bike for many years while raising our two kids. Both turned out great, and I now I have two bikes (both paid for) and my son rides with me. You have your priorities straight. Bikes come and go, but, you need to take care of your family.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Panthers65
Tourer

Good luck to you, I'm 25 years old and the only debt I have right now it my home. Not the best option, but cruising around on a older KZ650 or Virago for a few years isn't a bad idea. My Yamaha was about $70 a year to insure, cost $800 when I bought it, saved me God knows how much in gas over 4 years, and was sold for $1500 when I was done with it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
Two heart attacks, 7 stents, emergency quad by pass. I WILL have my toys, one never knows when the man above will close your book. Dont get in over your head, but there is more to life than working and paying bills.
I agree 100%!! you never know when your times up! I have a wife and kids also but i also will try to live my life as well. Cant give up all your toys trust me that can be bad too! I do respect your decision on getting rid of your stuff and it is smart but i agree with the above post as well. Trust me if you sell every single thing and you have nothing to enjoy whats the point! I know you still have your kids to enjoy and i do too.. but thats different! You still need somthing for yourself or you can lose your mind and that will afect your family too! All im saying is your doing the right thing but at least keep one thing! Worst thing to do is work your whole life and save for retirement or the future and never get to enjoy it! Ive seen so many people just in the last 2 years alone die right before they retire or soon after! Heck im just happy every day im still here!! Enjoy life will you can and dont worry about money! I know thats crazy advise but its true!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:29 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes debt sucks big time and i try to stay out of it. I have a car payment on my New car, but it's not a huge one, the Truck is paid for cash as well as the bike. I will only pay cash for toys. Do what you have to do, but that is one sweet bike you have there.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My goal is to die with as much debt as possible that I don't have to pay off.

Seriously though the only debt I actually have is my house and my wife's student loans. I paid cash for my bike and would never finance a bike and only a car if I had no other choice. I am carrying a touch more credit card debt than I want but instead of siding the house I'll dump my entire tax return to the credit cards and be debt free.

Why not sell the expensive bike and buy a cheap sportster? You can still ride, they can be had for a few grand and an old EVO will run solid for you and are simple to fix.

Last edited by babalu; 09-22-2011 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM
h2o
Road Captain

Not a bad move. I want to be
debt free as well. I don't owe much on the bike so I'm keeping it.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by philo111
Keep the bike. If you sell it, you will resent everything that made you sell. You'll be pissed-off and drunk all the time. Look around at all the unhappy financially fit drones. Remember why you got the bike in the first place. It wasn't to get good gas mileage.
Wow, how profound! First thing I have to say is he is making a choice to sell it not being made to sell it so there will likely not be any resentment. Regarding "unhappy financially fit drones" what a stupid statement. I am financially fit because I did just what he is bout to do and am by no means unhappy. We pay cash for vacations, and most anything else we want to do. I was a lot more unhappy living paycheck to paycheck feeling trapped at my job and by life in general. I was able to leave a great paying job I hated for one I enjoy at less pay because I made the very same choice, life is better now!

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I agree 100%!! you never know when your times up! I have a wife and kids also but i also will try to live my life as well. Cant give up all your toys trust me that can be bad too! I do respect your decision on getting rid of your stuff and it is smart but i agree with the above post as well. Trust me if you sell every single thing and you have nothing to enjoy whats the point! I know you still have your kids to enjoy and i do too.. but thats different! You still need somthing for yourself or you can lose your mind and that will afect your family too! All im saying is your doing the right thing but at least keep one thing! Worst thing to do is work your whole life and save for retirement or the future and never get to enjoy it! Ive seen so many people just in the last 2 years alone die right before they retire or soon after! Heck im just happy every day im still here!! Enjoy life will you can and dont worry about money! I know thats crazy advise but its true!
So when the big man says it's your time, will you really go begrudgingly because you didn't have a bike while preparing for your families future???

Pay off your debt now, don't worry about money and enjoy life, that's the correct order in my opinion!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need a ton of money to ride a motorcycle, is it about riding or is it about appearances? If it's about appearances I agree sell the expensive toy and go on with your life. But if riding is something you really love it can be done on the cheap, with a Harley. Hell there are EVO's and shovels for sale for a few grand.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Family comes first. See you back on the road when you're debt free.

Quick Reply: Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)