General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 AM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

Good for you and I wish you the best of luck. Seems like you have your priorities straight. Been listening to Dave for about 10 years now. He speaks the truth, no way around it. I will be among the first to welcome you back when you get the next scooter. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:51 AM
underdog2003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their support....it really means alot to hear so many who are encouraging. It's odd that an internet forum could be motivating, but it is and that's all that counts!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 AM
philo111
Advanced

Keep the bike. If you sell it, you will resent everything that made you sell. You'll be pissed-off and drunk all the time. Look around at all the unhappy financially fit drones. Remember why you got the bike in the first place. It wasn't to get good gas mileage.

Last edited by philo111; 09-22-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:55 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by parabellum_9x19
Its good to have a card, make a few small purchases every now and then, and never pay interest.

If you get stuck somewhere and your bank is closed, that card could come in very handy.

That is what I do anyway.

$10,000 credit card limit, but I carry zero balance.
....or you can have $10,000 in a separate account as an emergency fund with a VISA Card for that account. No need of playing with snakes. BTW, there are debit cards with up to 2% cash back.

I've been on the Total Money makeover for a couple years. Paid off $47K in 18 months making $82K. I'm 32 with a 2008 FLHX, and a 2010 Toyota RAV 4, wife 3 kids. Soon to add to the stable: New truck and a fishing boat with CASH. I'll never have to be that guy with all the health problems worrying about not having toys or missing one riding season to actually save for the purchase... therefore living in debt. I can now do more, spend more, save more and LIVE my life to the fullest.

I haven't had a credit card in a couple of years and have travelled all over Europe, rented cars, and made hotel reservations at 5* hotels with debit or cash. It's all a one-time transaction and I don't have to have the vacation hangover when I get home. Good on ya and keep it up. We're a small group of believers and you'll get lots of "But you know.... or what if..." but only the debt free know it's all a cop out.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 AM
garand
Road Master

Originally Posted by philo111
Keep the bike. If you sell it, you will resent everything that made you sell. You'll be pissed-off and drunk all the time. Look around at all the unhappy financially fit drones.
These are the exact comments that you'll continue to get. Ask someone that's debt free if they're unhappy? If it's that bad they would just go out and take out a line of credit. They they can be happy again. WRONG. There is nothing on the face of this planet that I could finance that would make me feel any better than I do debt free. A peace of mind is priceless.

A person will only make a finite amount of money during their working years. Don't throw it away on interest! My 18th month sacrifice has put me ahead of the game and I'm now staying ahead. After I was debt free and had to build up the 6 month emergency fund, it only took 6 months to scratch together $20K making $80. That's while living in Europe with $2K for rent. It's not hard to get by on $1800 when you don't have bills to pay. Once you realize how fast you can pay off debt, you then learn how quickly you can save for anything you want.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 AM
garand
Road Master

Originally Posted by Vitric
Good for you OP. I decided when I was young I wasn't going to live in debt like my parents. Going on 21 (read previous sentence.. now) and I still don't have a credit card when most people I know had one at 18. Bought my Harley at 18 with $1,000 down, boosting up my credit score, and haven't missed a single payment on any of it ever. I refuse to live beyond my means. Hopefully I keep it up.
VITRIC congrats on starting out on the right foot. Pick up a copy of the Total Money Makeover and you'll have a new perspective.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by underdog2003
Long story short (hopefully), I am selling my 2009 FXDB, and any other toy that I don't need, so I can start hammering out my debt. I have always carried debt since college and am now sick of living paycheck to paycheck and not having anything in savings.

I now have two little girls and a wife to support and it's not fair to them to be in this situation while daddy rides around on his harley he doesn't need, and he buys things that neither he nor the family needs. It's time for me to man up and take care of business so my babies can grow up and have two loving parents who aren't worried about how they are going to pay for their kids needs.

I woke up after reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book and decided enough is enough. I refuse to be in debt. I am going to follow that plan to a T to pay off all debt, including my house one day.

I love my Street Bob and it is bringing a tear to my eye knowing I am going to sell it, but I will buy another Harley one day, and it will be with cash. No financing, no borrowing...nothing. I will pay for that bike and ride away with biggest smile on my face.

Wish me luck fellas...
Heh! They may look totally adorable and you may want to do anything to play huggy kissy-face with them every moment you can, now, but wait'll those two cuties become teenagers! You'll trade 'em for that Harley back in a heartbeat...

I got three teens I'll trade for one bike. Even a Sportster! C'mon 3 for the price of one! That ain't a deal??? Any takers? Anyone?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:53 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Heh! They may look totally adorable and you may want to do anything to play huggy kissy-face with them every moment you can, now, but wait'll those two cuties become teenagers! You'll trade 'em for that Harley back in a heartbeat...

I got three teens I'll trade for one bike. Even a Sportster! C'mon 3 for the price of one! That ain't a deal??? Any takers? Anyone?

Ummmm NO ....

Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 AM
jim gallo
Cruiser

you are makking the right choice. i wish you luck. i raised my kids with the thought that they were my first priority, now at 62 i have 3 great childrean and buy what i want when i want and do no have any debt. its a long road but a great one and your childrean and wife will love you all the more for being a stand up guy.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior

Follow Dave Ramsey's plan and you will have a much better life for you and most importantly, your family. I did basically the same thing back in 1987 when I was working two jobs and starting a family. Sold my Sportster and kept one vehicle, paid it off (drove it for 20 years) and slowly worked my way out of debt.

Got the kids through college and found the bike I have been wanting for years. I'm nearing retirement now and as Dave says "Cash is king". Don't forget to save for your retirement as well. Social Security may not be there in the coming years and it should never be counted on as a sole retirement income anyway.

Good luck and don't fall off the wagon!

Quick Reply: Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)