General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP I never saw an answer as to why give up riding altogether? You can ride on the cheap, it doesn't have to be a 20K Harley. I see ride-able bikes for as little as $600, and Harley's for as little as $1500.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 AM
BuckeyeGuy525
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to do a TMM, go with gazelle intensity!Ive also read Dave's book and think the snowball method is fantastic. I am carrying around some student loans and a truck payment, but I bought a bike anyway because I have no other hobbies and nothing else to keep me sane. Granted my bike is nowhere near as nice as yours (99 sporty, $2500 cash for it) and I dont have any children to worry about. I greatly respect you doing whats best for your family at the expense of yourself.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 AM
BuckeyeGuy525
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garand
To those of you that suggest that rather than paying off a mortgage to make a higher interest rate by investing the money: If your house was paid for, would you actually borrow against it to invest the money?

It all sounds good on paper, but you fail to calculate the risk involved. I'm not going to collateral my home to invest money I don't have, therefore I can't afford to lose.

The only thing that scares me about our economy is the number of people who think it is noble to look prosperous with other people's money.
Great point! To all the people that try to play this positive vs negative interest game I will quote Mr. Ramsey: "if you were that good at math in the first place, you wouldnt be in debt...so dont do it"

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy525
Great point! To all the people that try to play this positive vs negative interest game I will quote Mr. Ramsey: "if you were that good at math in the first place, you wouldnt be in debt...so dont do it"

Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Been there, done that. From personal experience, it is much more fun to ride a bike YOU own instead of the bank.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
To the OP I never saw an answer as to why give up riding altogether? You can ride on the cheap, it doesn't have to be a 20K Harley. I see ride-able bikes for as little as $600, and Harley's for as little as $1500.
I think this sums it up....

As far as my bike being kept for transportation, I am fortunate enough to have a job that gives me a take home car. I work five 11 hour days (travel time included) and one 5 hour day on Saturdays. Needless to say, with a take home car and two babies at home, I don't ride my bike nearly as much as I would like.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ackman1968
I think this sums it up....
OK so it's not about debt really at all, it's the "I have a wife and baby and can't ride anymore" excuse. That's fine just come out with that in the first place. Sorry to be a d*ck but this just another guy who never really wanted to ride just wanted the big shiny toy to impress people. Riding a motorcycle isn't expensive, in fact it's a great money saver, riding an expensive motorcycle is expensive though.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckeyeGuy525
As an electrical engineer I can guarantee you I can knock Mr. Ramsey's dick in the dirt when it comes to math. Paying off your house and/or investing in other things are both valid ways to spend your money. If you can't see that then maybe you should pull you heads out of your self-help books and think for yourselves a little bit. I asked a valid question in a respectful manner and some of you wanted to be dicks about it anyway.

Oh, and LMmarine86, your scenario about losing your job and then your house if you invest the money instead of paying off your mortgage...let's analyze that. If you pay off your house the net balance is $0. If you owe $100k on your house and you have $100k in a safe fixed asset portfolio the net balance is $0. The math is not difficult.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
Oh, and LMmarine86, your scenario about losing your job and then your house if you invest the money instead of paying off your mortgage...let's analyze that. If you pay off your house the net balance is $0. If you owe $100k on your house and you have $100k in a safe fixed asset portfolio the net balance is $0. The math is not difficult.
But if you invest that 100K and lose 50K of it in the same span of time like most people have, then you are down 50K towards paying off your home, math is still not difficult.

Again I don't know of any investment that's guaranteeing 8% return like you stated earlier.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
As an electrical engineer I can guarantee you I can knock Mr. Ramsey's dick in the dirt when it comes to math. Paying off your house and/or investing in other things are both valid ways to spend your money. If you can't see that then maybe you should pull you heads out of your self-help books and think for yourselves a little bit. I asked a valid question in a respectful manner and some of you wanted to be dicks about it anyway.

I don't think anyone is being a dick, I think you are just getting your panties in a bunch for nothing.

I know tons of people that have your way of thinking..... They are all crying on wall street right now..

Let's talk in 20 years and see who's tactics have paid off shall we?

Quick Reply: Selling my Harley, and happy about it! (well, trying to be...)