General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

workshop/garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default workshop/garage

so i finally talked my wife into letting me build a garage. i am wanting to make it into a workshop/man cave and am looking for some suggestions for tools you think I will need. i have already looked at a couple lifts as well as compressors and impact wrenches. other than that stuff and the basic wrenches and sockets, any suggestions?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,658 Likes on 1,644 Posts

A urinal (want others to come over 'n help? Or hang out? Beers will have to happen...thus urinal)
Some heat (judging by your location, so can work throughout winter)

Old 09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,552 Likes on 2,500 Posts

You're wife is "letting you"? LETTING YOU??? You don't need a man cave, you need a boudoir!!

Old 09-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
You're wife is "letting you"? LETTING YOU??? You don't need a man cave, you need a boudoir!!

Don't forget the bidet too,you know to rinse your sensitive parts

Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A mini fridge for... um, sodas.
A window mounted or small air conditioner unit.
Vintage tin Harley signs.
Tool boxes.
Radio.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

if planning any extensive work (cams/tranny/engine) then extra shelf/table space for laying out parts during projects.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way, to the OP... Thanks a LOT, JERK!
My girl was reading this thread over my shoulder, and asked "Which room is your mancave?"
"The whole house!", I replied. Now in my defense, the den is done up like an old hunting lodge, the master bedroom is done in the same motif, the back bedroom is our trophy/car room (car show) complete with die cast cars and vintage automobile memorabilia, the side bedroom is the office, done in an 18th century colonial theme, and the garage is, well, the garage.
"Well I am just going to have a "chick's room... a henhouse." she said.
To which I replied "You have one, it's called the kitchen!"
...and THEN the fight started. lol. I can feel her staring at me as I type. Whoops!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16x24 2 story barn and added a "dirty room" on the back 8x16. It's small, but there ain't much I can't do... So, what's in my shop... large heavy stainless work bench, plenty of cabnets and shelves, Lift table, TIG/stick welder, MIG welder, bike jack, several large tool cabnets, coffee station, water cooler/fridge, cable tv, sirius satalite stereo, wireless data, phone, chairs, air compressor, several grinders, polisher, mini lathe, floor drill press, bench drill press, sandblaster, parts washer, arbor press, oxy/acc torch rig, metal band saw, heat, flywheel truing stand, spoke wheel truing stand, tire machine and most every hand and pneumatic tool you could possibly need. The shop is wired for 100 amp service and the 2nd floor is all storage. What's not in my workshop/mancave? Women. They stay in the house!

Last edited by Blue SOG; 09-19-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kegerator

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP, First heat, and if you want A/C, not really needed though as cement floor stays cool. With heat you can now put in running water, which should include a sink and toilet in bathroom, and then kitchen style sink in work bench. Lights lights and more lights, put in as many as you can, trust me you can never have enough light when working on something. Make your work benches at least as high as your belly button and no higher than your nipples, this avoids you being hunched over. As far as tools go, buy a good air tool set which should include impact gun, air ratchet, air dremmel, air chizzle. With all the air tools a compressor will be in need, and good impact sockets deep and shallow in both standard and metric, while you are at it get a torques socket set as well (comes in handy with harleys) I have a 27x30 garage with no water or plumbing baorded and insolated, and it's replacment value is around $30,000 and I would value my tools at around $7-$10 thousand, don't make a budget when doing this cause all it's going to do is allow your wife to tell you that you are way over budget, TRUST ME!!

Quick Reply: workshop/garage