General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

workshop/garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Vince81
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinfromshootin
so i finally talked my wife into letting me build a garage. i am wanting to make it into a workshop/man cave and am looking for some suggestions for tools you think I will need. i have already looked at a couple lifts as well as compressors and impact wrenches. other than that stuff and the basic wrenches and sockets, any suggestions?

The ONLY suggestion I have is that if you had to *ASK PERMISSION* and *TALK* your wife into(or about) letting YOU build a garage/man cave/workshop for your motorcycle area......

Never mind dude.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,453 Likes on 17,681 Posts

Originally Posted by man4mopar
Snap-On, OTC, Matco, Cornwell and others make good tools. But when it comes to hand tools I buy mostly Craftsman. Sears is in town and open 7 days a week accept holidays. And as for air tools it is hard to beat IR(Ingersoll Rand) who make air tools for some of the above companies.

Now as far as building a shop/garage I am in the process of doing the same. As mentioned go as large as you can afford and what ordinance will allow. Other thing to think of is 2 post lifts are not overly expensive so having a 12' 4" cieling clearance will clear a lot of makes. Cement work would need to be planned too. Some info here http://www.carguygarage.com/carlift.html No plug for company recomend researching around before buying.
Insulating will help keep temps. Drywalling/or painted white walls reflects lighting well.
Outlets, Outlets and more Outlets making sure to have at least 1 is a 208 or 240 volt for welder/plasma what have you.
Think about storage, wall mounted cabinets/shelves saves floor space compared to floor cabinets. These can be made cheaper then crap sold at most stores. Perforated peg board makes for great tool storage and space saving's.

Cheers and enjoy the soon shop/garage.
When I was real young and real broke craftsman was a choice , now I won't fix a lawn mower with them . Tell you the truth if thats your price range find a Harbor Fright for hand tools , they have a better finish and fit than sears and half the price tag and the same life time warranty just don't trust anything electrical from them . Picked up a set of 1/2dr impact sockets to act as throw aways on a job once and still have them and they are are in better shape than my snap-on set after 5 yrs of constant use on impacts tearing down 40 plus year old structural steel .

My daily tools are all snappy or Mac mixed with some Stanley and Matco . Very few were bought off the trucks , stuff is about 3 times what can be called workable prices for the average man .