General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

workshop/garage

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
honkylips
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Build it bigger than you think you need. Much bigger.
-fridge
-heat
-air compressor outside of the shop
-utility sink (will also be your pisser)
-save some wall space for a tv

Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was always told build it just as big as you can afford to. I have a 30X40. 200amp service for welding machine, air compressor, air conditioner etc. Like one poster said, a lot of lights. The tools you can get over time as you need most important thing is somewhere (i.e.) the shop to store all this stuff. The most used item in mine is the fridge. I have a nice work bench to hold my beer too.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 743 Likes on 374 Posts

Brass pole!

Old 09-19-2011, 04:02 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by smokinfromshootin
so i finally talked my wife into letting me build a garage. i am wanting to make it into a workshop/man cave and am looking for some suggestions for tools you think I will need. i have already looked at a couple lifts as well as compressors and impact wrenches. other than that stuff and the basic wrenches and sockets, any suggestions?
Why not ask the wife?

Heat and a/c, bathroom, bar, lots of workspace, shelving, good lighting, air compressor, lift table, flat screen, internet access, stereo...

Old 09-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 drill press, ahh-haha; 2 drill press, ahh-haha; 1 metal lathe, ahh-haha & a punching bag

Old 09-19-2011, 05:04 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinfromshootin
so i finally talked my wife into letting me build a garage... ....other than that stuff and the basic wrenches and sockets, any suggestions?
A coat hook to hang your ***** on?

I kid, I kid! Everybody ELSE was doin' it!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:51 PM
takiniteasy09Ultra
Tourer

"Well I am just going to have a "chick's room... a henhouse." she said.
To which I replied "You have one, it's called the kitchen!"
...and THEN the fight started. lol. I can feel her staring at me as I type. Whoops!

Now that's funny right there!
Women...you can't live without 'em and you can't shoot 'em.

PS....I hope she lets you be in charge again soon.

Ride Safe

Old 09-19-2011, 08:13 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

You never mentioned if it's going to be a "Harley only" man cave or will it be pulling duty as a carport too?

Like others have said.......Lights, lights, and more lights. I have 15 4' double flourescents in my 24x30 Harley barn and then there are lights over the workbench and portable lights too. Can't have too many.

Oh, and white walls and ceilings will help amplify the light.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Iman01
Novice

Spend all your money to make it as big as you can. You can always add lights, tools, lifts and stuff later. Adding more square footage just won't happen later.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Hawghauler
Intermediate

I invested in tons of lighting, you can get a tan in my shop. Worth its weight in gold. Parts washer, pressure washer, big beefy Wilton vise. Snap-on, Mac, Wright tools. Cheap hand tools = busted knuckles. No such thing as too many tools. More than one work bench. One for rough work and one for clean work. A third for guns is also a basic necesity. Drop lights, torches, solvent/POL cabinet, cobalt drill bits. I only use air tools for heavy work or grinding, cutting, blowing. I trust my hands when working on my own rigs Easy to let an air wrech get away from you and bugger thing up if you are not careful. Wrenching is pleasure, I don't rush it. US made jack stands, bike lift, car lift if you can swing it, good 3 ton jack if you can't. I buy as much American made as I can and I do not by import hand tools ever. I am will be adding AC at some point as summers get brutal where I am, winter I heat it up with a salamander. 200 amp service, big compressor. I will be getting a hydraulic press at some point. It is a luxury for the hobbyist, but I deserve it.

Quick Reply: workshop/garage