General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight modulator on 2012 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Headlight modulator on 2012 models

Does anyone know if there is a change in the 2012 models that keep a modulator from working?
I installed one (from Kriss) on my 2012 Fat Boy Lo. When you turn on the high beam switch, the high beam comes on for just a second or two, then the headlight reverts back to lo beam and stays there. The headlight never modulates. Put the modulator unit on my 2010 deluxe and 2007 SG and it worked fine.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 AM
signaldynamics
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe...

You should definitely start by calling kriss' customer service. They should be able to tell why it isnt working, and they may have a solution. If they do not have the answer, you can try a different brand, there are 4 major manufacturers of headlight modules. Kriss being one, also comagination, (our company) signal dynamics, and Kisan.

If you have questions about anything having to do with headlight and brake light modules, feel free to contact me. I am a authorized customer service representative for signal dynamics corporation.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 AM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by signaldynamics
You should definitely start by calling kriss' customer service. They should be able to tell why it isnt working, and they may have a solution. If they do not have the answer, you can try a different brand, there are 4 major manufacturers of headlight modules. Kriss being one, also comagination, (our company) signal dynamics, and Kisan.

If you have questions about anything having to do with headlight and brake light modules, feel free to contact me. I am a authorized customer service representative for signal dynamics corporation.

Thank you for your reply. Over the weekend I inquired by email and received an email response. The response was a bit convoluted, but it sounds like they're not sure. The tech said "I don't know if there's something with the 2012 Fat Boy that would cause it to revert back to low beam if it appeared the high beam filament failed". He then goes into detail about testing it using "3 jumpers". I'm not a tech and not at all comfortable messing with such testing. I am going to call them later today. Has your modulator been put on a 2012 and confirmed to work?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

its a hint not to use it, all they do is distract on coming traffic and put everybody at risk. I hate laws , but those chicken **** things need to go

Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a hint not to use it, all they do is distract on coming traffic and put everybody at risk.

It's only my personal experience, but I have to disagree with you. After nearly getting nailed by a left-turner, I got a Kisan modulator.

Immediately, I could see the difference. People waiting to turn on to my road or waiting to turn left across me would wait longer to let me go by first. It was a noticeable difference.

To be honest, if it annoyed them, I didn't care, as long as they noticed me and were careful not to hit me.

Last edited by DanDolfn; 09-19-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:46 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
its a hint not to use it, all they do is distract on coming traffic and put everybody at risk.

It's only my personal experience, but I have to disagree with you. After nearly getting nailed by a left-turner, I got a Kisan modulator.

Immediately, I could see the difference. People waiting to turn on to my road or waiting to turn left across me would wait longer to let me go by first. It was a noticeable difference.

To be honest, if it annoyed them, I didn't care, as long as they noticed me and were careful not to hit me.
thats the problem , they notice you and only you....to hell with the little kid getting ready to run out in front of them

Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Johnny K
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zukeeper
thats the problem , they notice you and only you....to hell with the little kid getting ready to run out in front of them
The "kid" is hypothetical. The danger to the guy with the modulator is real.

If you take your approach, we should eliminate brake lights, marker lights, horns, any kind of reflective clothing, loud pipes....all those things put attention on you, and not on the hypothetical kid.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to have one of those things. I was always afraid some soccer mom would think I was flashing to give the right-of-way. As in "you go first". This actually happened to me when I forgot to turn it off at a 4 way stop. I was my turn and I was making a left but the lady opposite me must have been confused by my modulator and she tried to run me over. Granted it was my fault for not turning it off. I just feel like they leave the door open for too much confusion.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Johnny K
The "kid" is hypothetical. The danger to the guy with the modulator is real.

If you take your approach, we should eliminate brake lights, marker lights, horns, any kind of reflective clothing, loud pipes....all those things put attention on you, and not on the hypothetical kid.

actually I don't have a horn or front signals / marker lights/reflective clothing lol but NONE of that would be shining brightly in the eyes and drawing ALL the attention of ONCOMING traffic..only the strobe/modulating light in eyes of oncoming traffic does that.....its pretty simple to figure out once you admit it. people need to learn how to ride defensively

Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greatscott
I just feel like they leave the door open for too much confusion.
another very valid point

Quick Reply: Headlight modulator on 2012 models