General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011 | 06:42 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That's the biggest bunch of horse crap I've ever heard. My pipes are stock and unless you are totally deaf, can hear them fine. And I've not yet hit the rev limiter on the bike, nor have I lugged it.
Good for you... enjoy your stock pipes and wimpshield.

Gonna put Fat Cat's on the old man's bike for X-mas, so it'll be a moot point (horse crap or not).

Old 09-22-2011 | 06:43 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

The nice thing about being retired and reasonably independent is that I don't need to give a **** what anyone else thinks.

Well, except for my wife, of course.

When she's on a roll, she scares the heck out of me!!

Then, again, she encouraged me to buy a Road King, so it's not like she's terrible or anything like that.

:-)

Old 09-22-2011 | 10:12 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

"Disappointment both times, both bikes were almost silent. WTF. If you're going to run silent, you need to sell your bike to a girl so she can make the mods to make it a real motorcycle. This is not a rant to promote loud pipes, but for christ sakes a Harley ought to make a little noise."

Heh.

I just traded two old Harleys (1990 FXRS-sp and 2000 FLTR) plus some cash for an '07 Road Glide.

The 07 had a set of Vance & Hines mufflers on it. Before I took the bike home, I had the shop owner take those things OFF, and put on the original factory mufflers on it to quiet the bike down.

I enjoy "music on the road". What's the point of having the sound system if you can't hear it?

No doubt that your bike can best a bike like mine in the noise contest, but...how many MILES do you have on it?

The FXRS had 99,700+ on it when I let it go (I put all but 4,900 onto it, bought it used in 93). The 00 FLTR had just shy of 136,000 on it, all put on by me. I got almost a quarter of a million between the two of them!

BTW, I always ride with a full-face helmet, as well! Heh!

Last edited by Fishrrman; 10-07-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-23-2011 | 07:00 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

I remember the days when owning a Harley was about being an individual and not being like every other bike on the road...It seems these days to be cool you have to do what everyone else is doing...It's a strange world we live in.

Old 09-23-2011 | 07:55 AM
gus4440
Road Captain

I spend a lot of time actually riding. I like traveling and seeing new places. Noise is not part of the riding experience for me.

Old 09-23-2011 | 07:58 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

I got rid of the stock mufflers and replaced them with crack pipes. Everyone travelling behind me thinks they're looooooooooovely!

Old 09-23-2011 | 12:37 PM
VTK
Road Master

interesting comments from someone with a cartoon karate fight for an avatar. Oh and don't think I didn't notice that USN in your sig sailor boy
LMAO- so now there's a problem with my avatar? Isn't cool enough for you? Not enough fantasy chick or animated *****, or a HD on fire? And is there an issue with me having served in the US Navy? Really? C'mon man, bring something better than that.

Old 09-23-2011 | 12:54 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
I remember the days when owning a Harley was about being an individual and not being like every other bike on the road...It seems these days to be cool you have to do what everyone else is doing...It's a strange world we live in.
Good point. Things changed in the 90s when many newbies bought into the Motor Company's lifestyle campaign. Ain't been the same since. The lemming mentality is indeed strange.

Old 09-24-2011 | 07:24 AM
jarhead59
|
Tourer

First VTK, the shot at the navy was just a little rivalry. Geoff I'm not new to the game started ridin when the "MOCO" was transferin in their exec's from the bowling ball division. Back then when a bike rolled off the line it was not silent it made some noise. Even the pin designers wouldn't let some skirt tell them their product was too loud. I know times and things change, but just because they do doesn't mean I have to hang my head and quietly conform.

Old 09-24-2011 | 08:03 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Personal choices. Like the OP stock pipes sound lame to my ears but to each his own. I enjoy listening to my cam lope in my boats and motorcycles. I never wanted a Harley that sounds like a Honda. This thread should get interesting.
I'm confused. Why is this interesting? Oh yeah, I remember. It's interesting to see how fragile and insecure so many posters are in their own masculinity that they have to tie it to how their bike looks or sounds. And they need to talk like "Internet tough guys."
Honest to God, do you think a black, obnoxiously loud bike makes you a man? Good luck with that.

That being said, I decided my stock pipes were too quiet FOR MY TASTE and am waiting for the slipons I ordered. But I didn't do it to be "manly." That's obvious anyway because I ride a "girls bike" (Sporty) in a "girly color" (purple). (There, I beat you to it.) Funny though, no one makes fun of me to my face. Maybe my size, my hot wife riding behind me or the fact that I was a martial arts instructor for 13 years has something to do with it.

OK, my riding buddy is here. I'm going to go ride.

Quick Reply: Quiet Pipes