General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:35 AM
nightroddersp
Cruiser

i like mine quiet, makes it easier for to sneak out of your girl house at night with out the neighbors knowing...

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:42 AM
ElectraDave
Road Captain

Looks like you pissed in a lot of cornflakes this morn, jarhead59!! LMFAO!

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:45 AM
VTK
Road Master

@ OP - Get over yourself! Your thread belongs in the most ignorant comment thread.

Old 09-19-2011 | 12:01 PM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain

I like my Thunderheaders with earplugs in, Nuff said

Old 09-19-2011 | 12:13 PM
mrjimbo
Tourer

My Bike.....My Pipes.......

Old 09-19-2011 | 01:13 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jarhead59
As I drove my truck to the Depot today on two separate occasions I passed HD's going in the oppisite direction. In both instances I turned down the radio and rolled down the window to take in the thunder. Disappointment both times, both bikes were almost silent. WTF. If you're going to run silent, you need to sell your bike to a girl so she can make the mods to make it a real motorcycle. This is not a rant to promote loud pipes, but for christ sakes a Harley ought to make a little noise.
I'm with you, but you've just pissed off the minivan commanders that make of 3/4 of this forum.

The other day, after riding about 75 miles on my softail, with unbaffled Samson pipes, I test-rode a 2012 Ultra-Limited. I couldn't even tell if it was running. I couldn't figure out when to shift gears until I noticed it had a tach on the dashboard. Now I understand who those guys have all the gauges - if you can't feel it or hear it, you have to have something to remind you to shift.

Old 09-19-2011 | 01:21 PM
mrjimbo
Tourer

Well Brenn, Get some hearing aids.....Tricare will cover it....because you are deaf if you can't hear a stock Ultra, they are quiet, but not that quiet.....and damn, you got to knock my MiniVan too? Geez..........

Old 09-19-2011 | 01:38 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Kowan
I've never run loud pipes on my bikes. Cycle Shacks and then Python 3s on my FXSTC. SE slipons on my FXCWC.

"pussification" is fear of being different than everyone else and playing it safe by doing what they do so you can feel as manly as you think they are.
Great definition of the word--"Don't step out of line too much so you offend someone;just step out enough so you're thought of as a novelty. Well, I look,act,& believe differently than most guys my age, and am proud of it. The ones who don't like me for it feel threatened by my SACK, and there are 1 or 2 that are jealous of me for being a "rebel". They have actually even told me so. I just feel I'm being honest with myself & others, just that most people can't handle the truth, to quote Jack Nicholson.

My Fatty is loud, & my RK is quiet,and I like 'em both!!

Old 09-19-2011 | 01:51 PM
stircrazy
Cruiser

I am in the middle of this debate. I like loud but not to loud, my last bike was a ignorantly loud metric, not bad in town and going slow, but up at 60mph and over after a 1 or 2 hour ride your ears are ringing.

when I bought my Harley this year, I got a 06 with Vance and Hines slip ons, and when I saw them I was going to pass on that bike as I assumed it would be one of those ignorantly loud ones like my buddies soft tail that rattles the Tim Horton's windows when he warms it up after our pre-work coffee. I took it for a ride and was very pleasantly surprised, it has the deep low rumble I love (enough to set off car alarms once and a while) but none of the high notes, which actually makes it friendly to my ears on the highway, just hear the rumble.

Steve

Old 09-19-2011 | 02:03 PM
Sonicgazi
Cruiser

whatever floats your boat. I too like loud pipes, but I also agree that some are a bit too loud for my tastes

Quick Reply: Quiet Pipes