General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011 | 08:31 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
....... When one rides many thousands of miles touring each year, loud pipes suck. They are just for showing off going to a bar.
I put 6000 miles on my 2012 in the last 8 weeks, and one of those weeks I was on vacation with the family. When you put on bigger miles daily the loud droning of the pipes is not a pleasant thing. If you cruise about in town it is all in good fun, but after about hour 6 or 8 it is tough to take.

Old 09-19-2011 | 09:26 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I've got to keep mine running in order to make some noise.

Old 09-19-2011 | 09:43 AM
Nirvana
Road Captain

Anyone who feels pipes need to be louder is because they CAN'T hear stock pipes any longer since they are deaf. They just want everyone to turn the volume to '11' so they can hear something,... anything.

Ehh, did you say somethin' sonny?

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:00 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

F'n loud pipers ... hey look at me! I'm a badass on a loud bike!

Seriously though, I prefer stealth mode. Don't care to draw attention. I run those SE slip on's. They rumble quietly.

Also, I ride the thing 15K per year. I don't need all that noise ... the show offs can have the noise if they want, I don't give a ****.

Last edited by cromagnon; 09-19-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-19-2011 | 10:01 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

If I didn't know any better I'd think that some of you guys think your bike is an extension of your Dingaling.

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:13 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim_G
Try it without the windshield. On my 2011 FLHR with stock pipes I can't tell what gear I'm in with the windshield off; the wind noise drowns out the pipes. I'm not talking about lugging the engine or hitting the rev limit, but riding at 50-55 I can't tell whether I'm in 4th or 5th gear.
LOL! That's why I never run without my shield on. I believe that's the reason people have to run loud pipes, so they can hear the engine over the wind noise. Cracks me up. The loud pipers also think you're a ***** if you use a windshield and have stock handlebars.
Wish I could be a bad *** biker, but I'd rather be comfortable ...

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:16 AM
Cory S
Cruiser

i like loud pipes thats why i have them on my bike. i ride long distances. damn to bad we all are'nt the same ppl. that would so great. haha seriously ppl who gives a ****

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:20 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

If they're paining for it, let them do whatever they want to it. Hell, you can paint your bike purple and put Prince's face on your tank and fenders for all I care.

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:25 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Hell, you can paint your bike purple and put Prince's face on your tank and fenders for all I care.

Ewwwww!

Old 09-19-2011 | 10:29 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jarhead59
As I drove my truck to the Depot today on two separate occasions I passed HD's going in the oppisite direction. In both instances I turned down the radio and rolled down the window to take in the thunder. Disappointment both times, both bikes were almost silent. WTF. If you're going to run silent, you need to sell your bike to a girl so she can make the mods to make it a real motorcycle. This is not a rant to promote loud pipes, but for christ sakes a Harley ought to make a little noise.
Guess the same could be inferred because you need to hit a "start" button instead of using a "kicker" pedal, but that would not be fair to all the ladies out there who ride both kick and/or e-start.

It's a personal choice. Been through the loud pipe phase. My bikes are stock exhaust because I happen to prefer them that way.

Must be hard being you...

Quick Reply: Quiet Pipes