General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011 | 08:01 PM
streeteagle
Club Member

Originally Posted by JDB
I run stock pipes on mine and until you pay the payments then it is none of your business how it sounds. Maybe you should worry more about yourself and not so much about other people.
Got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, did'nt we?

Old 09-18-2011 | 08:29 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master

I always listen to loud Harleys when I can, cause I like the way they sound. I also listen ( when I can) for old hotrods with big cams too. It will be a sad day when everthing is the same.

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:13 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Hang on it's going to be a wild ride...

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:20 PM
martinbrody
Advanced

I know right, quiet pipes on a harley, no one will pay attention and look at you then. I saw a guy wearing a full face helmet on a harley, I was like if you had loud pipes you wouldn't need that lame helmet. Yeah like someone else said, it's so sad when everything is the same, they should throw some vance and hines on there and sound like the rest of us, oh wait.....

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:21 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jarhead59
As I drove my truck to the Depot today on two separate occasions I passed HD's going in the oppisite direction. In both instances I turned down the radio and rolled down the window to take in the thunder. Disappointment both times, both bikes were almost silent. WTF. If you're going to run silent, you need to sell your bike to a girl so she can make the mods to make it a real motorcycle. This is not a rant to promote loud pipes, but for christ sakes a Harley ought to make a little noise.

To hell with the PC bikers and the obnoxious throttle jockies...

All i know is the stock exhaust on my father's Street Bob are too quiet.
You have to look down at the speedo to know when to up and downshift because you have no audible cue to shift after 2nd gear... and the 'bob obviously has no tach.

You gotta, at least, have enough 'thunder' to be able to shift.

Old 09-18-2011 | 09:44 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
All i know is the stock exhaust on my father's Street Bob are too quiet.
You have to look down at the speedo to know when to up and downshift because you have no audible cue to shift after 2nd gear...
That's the biggest bunch of horse crap I've ever heard. My pipes are stock and unless you are totally deaf, can hear them fine. And I've not yet hit the rev limiter on the bike, nor have I lugged it.

Old 09-18-2011 | 10:11 PM
Jim_G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
That's the biggest bunch of horse crap I've ever heard. My pipes are stock and unless you are totally deaf, can hear them fine. And I've not yet hit the rev limiter on the bike, nor have I lugged it.
Try it without the windshield. On my 2011 FLHR with stock pipes I can't tell what gear I'm in with the windshield off; the wind noise drowns out the pipes. I'm not talking about lugging the engine or hitting the rev limit, but riding at 50-55 I can't tell whether I'm in 4th or 5th gear.

Old 09-18-2011 | 10:14 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Personal choices. Like the OP stock pipes sound lame to my ears but to each his own. I enjoy listening to my cam lope in my boats and motorcycles. I never wanted a Harley that sounds like a Honda. This thread should get interesting.

Old 09-18-2011 | 10:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim_G
Try it without the windshield. On my 2011 FLHR with stock pipes I can't tell what gear I'm in with the windshield off; the wind noise drowns out the pipes. I'm not talking about lugging the engine or hitting the rev limit, but riding at 50-55 I can't tell whether I'm in 4th or 5th gear.

I always did that by counting them as I went up.

Old 09-18-2011 | 10:20 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I always did that by counting them as I went up.
That's why I wear fingerless gloves.

Quick Reply: Quiet Pipes