General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011 | 08:45 AM
VTK
Road Master

@jarhead - I'm glad you were just poking at the Navy - Marine relationship. I was a little disappointed at first look...coming from a Marine and all. For the record my Heritage is not running with stock pipes, but I still don't care what another mans bike sounds like, looks like, or what he wears.

Old 10-06-2011 | 08:31 AM
SLOnoey
Cruiser

Oh my...I am a girl and I did make some mods to my bike! I did need my bike to sound louder so I changed to V&H... I feel a safer knowing I can be heard...and I like the reaction I get...but everyone is diffrent and makes the world go around.

Old 10-06-2011 | 12:20 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
God;whatta buncha women. Guy was only sayin' he was disappointed there was no thunder;wasn't tryin' to tell the guy what kinda pipes to run. You gonna ride the Big Iron,you gotta have the sound. You want quiet pipes;nuttin' wrong with that. I don't fault anyone for quiet pipes;hell I got stock on my RK, and I would keep 'em except the bike's gonna get race-tuned next week 'cause it's runnin' too hot.
But don't blame the guy for likin' loud pipes--hell, I turn down the radio & open the window when a Harley is passin' me so I can enjoy the thunder. And **** on whether John Q. Fogey doesn't like my pipes. it's a loud world. DEAL WITH IT!! if I gotta listen to people's barkin' *** dogs,listen to their screamin' brats in restaurants,rap crap from boom box cars, airplanes,trucks,sirens;crappy-*** music of today;you name it, then they can listen to a few seconds of loud pipes passin' by. There A'INT TOO MUCH left in life to enjoy anymore, so if someone likes the sound of a set of Rineharts (like my GFs earwax crystallizers on her RK) I say let 'em have it. The bike's gone in a couple seconds anyway. But people's brats scream through my entire meal sometimes. Bottom line--you like 'em quiet,some like 'em loud. Don't like 'em loud? Move to Death Valley.

Remember that aging Harley demographic? I'm sure a lot of riders can't hear their pipes as well at their advancing age. I got stockers on my RK, and I can't tell what gear I'm in except for the fact that my sled has a tach. Hell, I can't even hear my 5th gear whine, so I don't even know if it's there.

I'm in a rare good mood tonight, so don't **** Dickey off. Otherwise, I'll hafta take it out on the GF by withholding sex!

And I agree with babyray---Today's breed of Harley rider really needs to biker-up. There is very little righteousness anymore.

Old 10-06-2011 | 11:58 PM
Elgin47
Cruiser

I agree that it's a personal thing - if you like loud exhaust, you like loud exhaust - or vice versa. And I respectfully disagree that it's a phallic substitute. Of course if that were true, then logic would dictate the inverse is true as well, so the quiet exhaust boys are essentially boasting through the relative silence of their exhausts. Therefore, it would follow that men who ride electric bikes must be the true giants among us.

I've put aftermarket exhausts on 90% of the motor vehicles I've owned since I was 14 - that was 50 years ago and I've owned a boatload of 'em, from muscle cars to pickups to Harleys. Just put a FatCat on my '11 Heritage and I think it's great. Really great. And I ride 4-5-6 hours at a stretch all the time, though I do have an iPod and Skullcandy earbuds.

I just like the sound of a loud-but-not-too-loud motor (which is of course entirely subjective), from big block V8s to Cummins diesels to Harleys. I also understand completely why other folks would rather stay stock and more power to 'em.

Frankly I don't give a rip what other folks like or don't like as long as I like it. After all, it's my money. That said, I ride responsibly and don't blast the 'Cat unless I'm on the open road where it doesn't bother anybody else - or I need to pass some a-hole on the highway - so there's that....

But I do still open the cage window just to hear the sound of a modded Harley. Sill a kid at heart, I guess. Or an idiot. All a matter of opinion and personal preference.

Old 10-07-2011 | 09:37 AM
jdsmitty10
Road Captain

I bought my big radius for the looks... The fact they sound great is just a bonus. Can they be too loud sometimes? Yes. But I don't care what other people want my bike to sound like. And I don't care what your bike sounds like or how it looks.. That's hy they make different bikes/pipes.

Old 11-04-2011 | 02:35 PM
bobfield
1st Gear

I'm athinkin' that you probably knew the answers you were going to get before you posted the question. I'm also athinkin' that there is nothing in the world quite as sweet as the Harley "rumble" but just cuz' you don't hear the rumble, it doesn't mean that it's a "Girly man's" machine.

Old 11-04-2011 | 02:41 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member

The only time I will ride a quiet bike is on the way home from the dealer, or to and from the police inspection station. After that, F-all y'all. I'm staying safe.

100% of the cagers will never be good enough drivers for bikes with quiet pipes, ever.

Last edited by Deuuuce; 11-05-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2011 | 07:13 PM
a10182
Road Captain

tough crowd

Old 11-04-2011 | 08:11 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member

Three things should never have quiet pipes on them,make that four.
1 Motorcycles
2 Muscle Cars
3 Pickup Trucks
4 Long Hood Peterbuilts ,any long hood Big Truck.
But to each its own.

Old 11-04-2011 | 08:28 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member

i prefer a deep rumble. Don't care about the loudness per se, but I need a rumble. I enjoy hearing the motor work, and working it.

However, I don't give a **** what someone else runs, nor do I get disappointed by someone else's sled, becasue that is straight bitch.

Rubber side down.

Quick Reply: Quiet Pipes