General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default loud pipes

you know, with all the new posts about loud pipes, look at it this way.... you know they are illegal. If you know they are illegal man the **** up and quit asking, if this or if that. they are illegal, either quit worring about it or just pay the fine when you get caught. i have been running loud pipes for 30 years, never been hit in Washington, busted in the very place god gave the US a enema,boise idaho. Mostly if you use any sense at all you are ok, if not man up and pay the price

Old 09-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Ed Vanharley
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which ones are Illegal, and if I have them on my bike do I qualify as a 1%er because I'm then outside of the law

Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
you know, with all the new posts about loud pipes, look at it this way.... you know they are illegal. If you know they are illegal man the **** up and quit asking, if this or if that. they are illegal, either quit worring about it or just pay the fine when you get caught. i have been running loud pipes for 30 years, never been hit in Washington, busted in the very place god gave the US a enema,boise idaho. Mostly if you use any sense at all you are ok, if not man up and pay the price
Best comment on this topic ever!!!

Old 09-18-2011, 05:21 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Vanharley
Which ones are Illegal, and if I have them on my bike do I qualify as a 1%er because I'm then outside of the law
I double dog dare you to bring that up at your local CoC.....

Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Is this a federal law, or a state law. Apparently we do not have this law in Kansas. They only ticket you for disturbing the peace, Not loud pipes. As far as I know there is no law here stating which pipes are illegal. We do have to get our bikes inspected when we buy them from out of state, which I did, and they never said my drag pipes were illegal when the deputy checked out my bike.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,052 Likes on 698 Posts

I honestly did'nt know loud pipes were illegal. Dam* now I have to change the Dam* pipes again.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

It is not so much the pipes, it is the idiot behind the bars. When a motorcyclist deliberately makes as much noise as he/she can then take the ticket and go to court with your fine money.
I have some what loud pipes on my bike, never had an issue. Always treat my neighbors like it is 1 am, regardless of the actual time. People will not bitch if you are conscientious and considerate of them. Be and idiot and yes, they are going to rebel, how can they rebel, by complaining to the legislators, now you have new laws and fines. Kinda like the jerk sitting next to you with the radio on deep bass. Ya, that does tend to get under my skin .
I have always said and will continue to say, we failed to police our own. Now we all have to pay the price.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
Bingo! Great post. Time for all of the blubbering and rationalizing to stop. Man up, your mama isn't going to change your poopy daiper, and there is no prize in the cereal box.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Is this a federal law, or a state law. Apparently we do not have this law in Kansas. They only ticket you for disturbing the peace, Not loud pipes. As far as I know there is no law here stating which pipes are illegal. We do have to get our bikes inspected when we buy them from out of state, which I did, and they never said my drag pipes were illegal when the deputy checked out my bike.
Federal law. Read this: http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ve-laws-at-all

Old 09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

Making a law to ban loud pipes because some jerk likes to blast them at 1:00 AM, is like banning guns because some jerk shot somebody in a robbery. Ticket the people that make the noise, not all the people that respect others. I keep mine quiet in town, and where I live, but out on the highway, I let them rip. I did crank them up one day in town. There was a guy backing out of his driveway and he slowed down as if he saw me coming, but then started backing out again as I was almost to him. I hit the throttle hard and swerved to the left. He hit the brakes hard and I managed to miss him. I was not going very fast, so it probably did not save my life, but probably did save me a broken leg and a busted up Harley.

Quick Reply: loud pipes