General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Belt Primary

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,026 Likes on 7,306 Posts
Default Open Belt Primary

Last Sunday I saw a Street Glide up at Stations Inn (NC Blue Ridge Parkway). There were several hundred bikes there and I never saw the owner to ask any questions.

My questions for you guys is why?

I see them all the time on pretty much every custom bike but not on stock bikes.

Are they safe? (may be why they are not on production bikes)

Any advantages or disadvantages vs closed chain?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks in advance

Old 09-17-2011, 11:45 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to here someones perspective on this, for me it would get old really fast having to have a elastic around my left pant leg all the time for fear of having my pants ripped off in the primary.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior

Yeah the open primary is good stuff, it, for the most part runs w/ less stress than a closed. That front belt wheel can be lighter & cause less friction on the crankshaft & reduce tension in opposing positions such as the, I say generically, the crankshaft drive wheel & transmission main shaft.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're safe as long as you keep them fed with pant legs.
It's a cool look but louder than a closed primary.

For year people asked HD for a belt primary. Then HD offered the FXB and many replaced the belt primary with a chain... can't win for losing.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 AM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Seems like having it exposed with a belt is purely for looks and it would have a few mechanical disadvantages...but it does look pretty badass.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Chunk
Road Warrior

The chain is heavier & tension is more obvious throughout its revolutions in comparison to a belt drive.
Tensioning a chain, vigilantly is usually not on any, just every body's, agenda; because, personally, an open primary w/ a chain is HOT, to me.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Purely to add wickedness - $1.5-2k worth. It does give you one less fluid hole to worry about. But that's a lot of coin to pay for added awesomeness and 1 less quart of oil every couple months.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An open Belt Drive ,has been known to "scare" women and small children! It'll also scare the rider when he see's just what it'll do to a tennis shoe!
A friend of my races on the AHDRA in the Top Fuel class, he aint afraid of nothin, he took my little "71" bar hopper for a test ride one afternoon. It had an open belt drive. When he got back he was white as a ghost, he said "this SOB is gonna hurt somebody"! He got his tennis shoe caught in it and basicly it removed most of his tennis shoe and all of his sock. Got both our attentions!!

Old 09-18-2011, 02:46 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,984 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
They're safe as long as you keep them fed with pant legs.
It's a cool look but louder than a closed primary.

For year people asked HD for a belt primary. Then HD offered the FXB and many replaced the belt primary with a chain... can't win for losing.
Good idea but wrong place in time the materials weren't up to the job yet . Belt tech has come a LONG way in just the last 10 yrs . Primary belts need a lot closer attention to getting the installation correct like alignment & proper running tension . Done right their great . Done wrong and they'll shred fast in a primary . I've been running them 30 plus yrs including big inch motors , last chain was I had was in a drag bike around 1980 .

PS Had an old buddy in Kansas City who had a pan chop with a 3" open belt and a jockey shift , you figure out how he got the nick " 3 Finger Frank " .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 09-18-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I've never been to kean on them myself. But, thats just me.

Quick Reply: Open Belt Primary